Dec 19, 2010, 10:48 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche have quietly put together an outstanding follow up campaign after their breakthrough 2009-10 season. While their Pacific Division lead over the Vancouver Canucks is unstable at best, their six-game winning streak, league-best 121 goals scored and impressive array of speedy young talent indicates that they’re going to be a factor in the Western Conference for quite some time.
That’s the good news. The bad news is that they will have to keep their locomotive offense going without Kyle Quincey, a defenseman who has prospered since he left the Detroit Red Wings organization to play with Colorado and Los Angeles.
Colorado reports that the defenseman will undergo season-ending surgery on his shoulder in the “near future.” While Quincey has regressed after underrated seasons (only one assist and a -5 rating in 21 games this season), losing the 25-year-old defenseman still a tough bit of news for the team.
“This is the best course of action for Kyle and his future,” said Avalanche team physician Dr. Andrew Parker. “After physical and diagnostic tests, the decision has been made to repair his shoulder at this time.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)