Dec 18, 2010, 11:54 AM EDT
Islanders fans are getting a bit too used to hearing stories like this one. Starting goalie Rick DiPietro is being hampered by swelling in his knee today and he’ll miss tonight’s game against Phoenix. Strangely enough, backup goalie and occasional starter Dwayne Roloson isn’t getting the call to start tonight’s game. Instead, the Islanders are calling up Nathan Lawson from the AHL and he’ll get the start.
Islanders fans are getting a bit too used to hearing that DiPietro is being bothered by something physically and having him miss any time at all is a bit too regular of an occurrence. For what it’s worth, Newsday’s Katie Strang tweets that DiPietro is feeling fine, it’s just a preventative measure.
Rick DiPietro said he’s confident the setback is minor one; “I wouldn’t have been out there today if I thought it was something serious.”
Let’s hope that that’s just the case. The Islanders are having a bad enough season as it is without having to go through the usual DiPietro injury routine. If DiPietro were to be out for an extended amount of time at all this year, it would be extra salt thrown in the wounds considering they’ve been without top players Kyle Okposo and Mark Streit this season.
As for Lawson, his season so far in Bridgeport of the AHL has been rough. He’s 2-4-2 with a .890 save percentage and a 3.78 goals against average. Dealing with the Coyotes tonight might not make for the greatest introduction to the NHL.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)