Dec 18, 2010, 11:54 AM EDT
Islanders fans are getting a bit too used to hearing stories like this one. Starting goalie Rick DiPietro is being hampered by swelling in his knee today and he’ll miss tonight’s game against Phoenix. Strangely enough, backup goalie and occasional starter Dwayne Roloson isn’t getting the call to start tonight’s game. Instead, the Islanders are calling up Nathan Lawson from the AHL and he’ll get the start.
Islanders fans are getting a bit too used to hearing that DiPietro is being bothered by something physically and having him miss any time at all is a bit too regular of an occurrence. For what it’s worth, Newsday’s Katie Strang tweets that DiPietro is feeling fine, it’s just a preventative measure.
Rick DiPietro said he’s confident the setback is minor one; “I wouldn’t have been out there today if I thought it was something serious.”
Let’s hope that that’s just the case. The Islanders are having a bad enough season as it is without having to go through the usual DiPietro injury routine. If DiPietro were to be out for an extended amount of time at all this year, it would be extra salt thrown in the wounds considering they’ve been without top players Kyle Okposo and Mark Streit this season.
As for Lawson, his season so far in Bridgeport of the AHL has been rough. He’s 2-4-2 with a .890 save percentage and a 3.78 goals against average. Dealing with the Coyotes tonight might not make for the greatest introduction to the NHL.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)