Dec 18, 2010, 4:22 PM EDT
The Flyers first game without Chris Pronger, who’s sidelined for the next 4-6 weeks after surgery on his broken foot, went off without a hitch.
The Flyers used two goals from Nikolay Zherdev and a continued adherence to tight-checking defense to lead their way 4-1 past the Rangers in this afternoon’s featured tilt. Andreas Nodl and Ville Leino each had a goal to help pad the scoring for the Flyers who lead the way in the Eastern Conference. The worry about being without Chris Pronger is that the defense would be a bit easier to maneuver around and that life would be tougher on any of the Flyers three goaltenders.
That wasn’t the case today as the Flyers held the Rangers to 25 shots and Brian Boucher stopped all but one of them on a Derek Stepan goal. The Flyers offense, meanwhile, bombarded Rangers netminder Henrik Lundqvist with 39 shots on goal. Lundqvist did well stopping 35 of them but the Flyers defense made sure they wouldn’t be able to get back into the game.
If you’re curious as to who did the heavy lifting minutes-wise for the Flyers on defense, it was Braydon Coburn and Kimmo Timonen. Timonen played 23:08 while Coburn checked in with 22:05 played. Lineup replacement Oskars Bartulis played 12:51. Bartulis was on the ice for the Rangers only goal of the game.
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 0
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 21
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 15
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)