Dec 18, 2010, 4:22 PM EDT
The Flyers first game without Chris Pronger, who’s sidelined for the next 4-6 weeks after surgery on his broken foot, went off without a hitch.
The Flyers used two goals from Nikolay Zherdev and a continued adherence to tight-checking defense to lead their way 4-1 past the Rangers in this afternoon’s featured tilt. Andreas Nodl and Ville Leino each had a goal to help pad the scoring for the Flyers who lead the way in the Eastern Conference. The worry about being without Chris Pronger is that the defense would be a bit easier to maneuver around and that life would be tougher on any of the Flyers three goaltenders.
That wasn’t the case today as the Flyers held the Rangers to 25 shots and Brian Boucher stopped all but one of them on a Derek Stepan goal. The Flyers offense, meanwhile, bombarded Rangers netminder Henrik Lundqvist with 39 shots on goal. Lundqvist did well stopping 35 of them but the Flyers defense made sure they wouldn’t be able to get back into the game.
If you’re curious as to who did the heavy lifting minutes-wise for the Flyers on defense, it was Braydon Coburn and Kimmo Timonen. Timonen played 23:08 while Coburn checked in with 22:05 played. Lineup replacement Oskars Bartulis played 12:51. Bartulis was on the ice for the Rangers only goal of the game.
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 5
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 11
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 11
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)