Dec 18, 2010, 4:22 PM EST
The Flyers first game without Chris Pronger, who’s sidelined for the next 4-6 weeks after surgery on his broken foot, went off without a hitch.
The Flyers used two goals from Nikolay Zherdev and a continued adherence to tight-checking defense to lead their way 4-1 past the Rangers in this afternoon’s featured tilt. Andreas Nodl and Ville Leino each had a goal to help pad the scoring for the Flyers who lead the way in the Eastern Conference. The worry about being without Chris Pronger is that the defense would be a bit easier to maneuver around and that life would be tougher on any of the Flyers three goaltenders.
That wasn’t the case today as the Flyers held the Rangers to 25 shots and Brian Boucher stopped all but one of them on a Derek Stepan goal. The Flyers offense, meanwhile, bombarded Rangers netminder Henrik Lundqvist with 39 shots on goal. Lundqvist did well stopping 35 of them but the Flyers defense made sure they wouldn’t be able to get back into the game.
If you’re curious as to who did the heavy lifting minutes-wise for the Flyers on defense, it was Braydon Coburn and Kimmo Timonen. Timonen played 23:08 while Coburn checked in with 22:05 played. Lineup replacement Oskars Bartulis played 12:51. Bartulis was on the ice for the Rangers only goal of the game.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)