Dec 18, 2010, 4:22 PM EDT
The Flyers first game without Chris Pronger, who’s sidelined for the next 4-6 weeks after surgery on his broken foot, went off without a hitch.
The Flyers used two goals from Nikolay Zherdev and a continued adherence to tight-checking defense to lead their way 4-1 past the Rangers in this afternoon’s featured tilt. Andreas Nodl and Ville Leino each had a goal to help pad the scoring for the Flyers who lead the way in the Eastern Conference. The worry about being without Chris Pronger is that the defense would be a bit easier to maneuver around and that life would be tougher on any of the Flyers three goaltenders.
That wasn’t the case today as the Flyers held the Rangers to 25 shots and Brian Boucher stopped all but one of them on a Derek Stepan goal. The Flyers offense, meanwhile, bombarded Rangers netminder Henrik Lundqvist with 39 shots on goal. Lundqvist did well stopping 35 of them but the Flyers defense made sure they wouldn’t be able to get back into the game.
If you’re curious as to who did the heavy lifting minutes-wise for the Flyers on defense, it was Braydon Coburn and Kimmo Timonen. Timonen played 23:08 while Coburn checked in with 22:05 played. Lineup replacement Oskars Bartulis played 12:51. Bartulis was on the ice for the Rangers only goal of the game.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)