Dec 18, 2010, 2:18 PM EDT
Part of the fun of the annual Winter Classic is seeing what the goalies will do to take part in the throwback nature and look of the game. Sometimes guys will break out the retro pads to match the retro uniforms but where the real interest lies is in how each goalie has their special mask designed for the game.
Both the Penguins and Capitals have shown off what their goalies will be wearing for the game and all four helmets will make you start pining for the 70s and 80s with how they’re designed. Somehow we think that Frank Pietrangelo and Don Beaupre, the goalies in this year’s Winter Classic alumni game, would completely approve of these designs.
The Penguins masks for Marc-Andre Fleury and Brent Jonhson have plenty of yellow and skating penguins to go around for everyone.
With Fleury’s mask, it’s a cool look but one we would’ve enjoyed seeing a lot more if the team were sporting throwbacks to their first Stanley Cup teams in the 1990s. Not to mention having those black and yellow colors parallel so well with being at Heinz Field. That’s neither here nor there though. Brent Johnson’s mask is pretty fantastic in its own right.
The Capitals masks aren’t quite as over the top as we were hoping they would be, but they’re fun in their own right. The Caps showed them off in a video on their website.
We’re not as excited by Varlamov’s mask as we are for Neuvirth’s. Neuvirth is at least going over the top to pay homage to the classic logo with red, white, and blue stars and all. Varlamov’s seems as if he’s had a snowball smashed into it. Perhaps he’s expecting rough treatment from the home fans in Pittsburgh and wants to blend in.
As the game approaches seeing these kinds of things just gets us a little more excited for the day to get here.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)