Dec 18, 2010, 2:18 PM EST
Part of the fun of the annual Winter Classic is seeing what the goalies will do to take part in the throwback nature and look of the game. Sometimes guys will break out the retro pads to match the retro uniforms but where the real interest lies is in how each goalie has their special mask designed for the game.
Both the Penguins and Capitals have shown off what their goalies will be wearing for the game and all four helmets will make you start pining for the 70s and 80s with how they’re designed. Somehow we think that Frank Pietrangelo and Don Beaupre, the goalies in this year’s Winter Classic alumni game, would completely approve of these designs.
The Penguins masks for Marc-Andre Fleury and Brent Jonhson have plenty of yellow and skating penguins to go around for everyone.
With Fleury’s mask, it’s a cool look but one we would’ve enjoyed seeing a lot more if the team were sporting throwbacks to their first Stanley Cup teams in the 1990s. Not to mention having those black and yellow colors parallel so well with being at Heinz Field. That’s neither here nor there though. Brent Johnson’s mask is pretty fantastic in its own right.
The Capitals masks aren’t quite as over the top as we were hoping they would be, but they’re fun in their own right. The Caps showed them off in a video on their website.
We’re not as excited by Varlamov’s mask as we are for Neuvirth’s. Neuvirth is at least going over the top to pay homage to the classic logo with red, white, and blue stars and all. Varlamov’s seems as if he’s had a snowball smashed into it. Perhaps he’s expecting rough treatment from the home fans in Pittsburgh and wants to blend in.
As the game approaches seeing these kinds of things just gets us a little more excited for the day to get here.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)