Dec 18, 2010, 2:18 PM EDT
Part of the fun of the annual Winter Classic is seeing what the goalies will do to take part in the throwback nature and look of the game. Sometimes guys will break out the retro pads to match the retro uniforms but where the real interest lies is in how each goalie has their special mask designed for the game.
Both the Penguins and Capitals have shown off what their goalies will be wearing for the game and all four helmets will make you start pining for the 70s and 80s with how they’re designed. Somehow we think that Frank Pietrangelo and Don Beaupre, the goalies in this year’s Winter Classic alumni game, would completely approve of these designs.
The Penguins masks for Marc-Andre Fleury and Brent Jonhson have plenty of yellow and skating penguins to go around for everyone.
With Fleury’s mask, it’s a cool look but one we would’ve enjoyed seeing a lot more if the team were sporting throwbacks to their first Stanley Cup teams in the 1990s. Not to mention having those black and yellow colors parallel so well with being at Heinz Field. That’s neither here nor there though. Brent Johnson’s mask is pretty fantastic in its own right.
The Capitals masks aren’t quite as over the top as we were hoping they would be, but they’re fun in their own right. The Caps showed them off in a video on their website.
We’re not as excited by Varlamov’s mask as we are for Neuvirth’s. Neuvirth is at least going over the top to pay homage to the classic logo with red, white, and blue stars and all. Varlamov’s seems as if he’s had a snowball smashed into it. Perhaps he’s expecting rough treatment from the home fans in Pittsburgh and wants to blend in.
As the game approaches seeing these kinds of things just gets us a little more excited for the day to get here.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40