Dec 18, 2010, 2:18 PM EDT
Part of the fun of the annual Winter Classic is seeing what the goalies will do to take part in the throwback nature and look of the game. Sometimes guys will break out the retro pads to match the retro uniforms but where the real interest lies is in how each goalie has their special mask designed for the game.
Both the Penguins and Capitals have shown off what their goalies will be wearing for the game and all four helmets will make you start pining for the 70s and 80s with how they’re designed. Somehow we think that Frank Pietrangelo and Don Beaupre, the goalies in this year’s Winter Classic alumni game, would completely approve of these designs.
The Penguins masks for Marc-Andre Fleury and Brent Jonhson have plenty of yellow and skating penguins to go around for everyone.
With Fleury’s mask, it’s a cool look but one we would’ve enjoyed seeing a lot more if the team were sporting throwbacks to their first Stanley Cup teams in the 1990s. Not to mention having those black and yellow colors parallel so well with being at Heinz Field. That’s neither here nor there though. Brent Johnson’s mask is pretty fantastic in its own right.
The Capitals masks aren’t quite as over the top as we were hoping they would be, but they’re fun in their own right. The Caps showed them off in a video on their website.
We’re not as excited by Varlamov’s mask as we are for Neuvirth’s. Neuvirth is at least going over the top to pay homage to the classic logo with red, white, and blue stars and all. Varlamov’s seems as if he’s had a snowball smashed into it. Perhaps he’s expecting rough treatment from the home fans in Pittsburgh and wants to blend in.
As the game approaches seeing these kinds of things just gets us a little more excited for the day to get here.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 0
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 0
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 3
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 24
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 74
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 22
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronkowski 'probably' needs back surgery, too
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness