Dec 17, 2010, 1:35 PM EDT
What one quality do you associate with the Washington Capitals?
Different people will provide a variety of answers, especially if they are fans of the Capitals (or some of their rivals). Yet when you basically average out most of the gut reactions, my guess is that the most common response would be some variation on “offensive minded.” (Or maybe some take on “finesse.”)
(Even Bruce Boudreau wondered if they were a bunch of “prima donnas” during his profanity-laced tirade during HBO’s 24/7.)
Yet an overall style (perceived or exaggerated) doesn’t necessarily mean that every player on the team fits that profile. The Capitals employ their fair share of tougher, two-way players and one guy who brings a traditionally rugged mindset to the ice is John Erskine. The team rewarded his hard-nosed play today, signing him to a two-year contract extension.
The deal will reportedly pay him an average of $1.5 million per season and $3 million overall.
As I mentioned, Erskine’s value normally doesn’t show up on the box score. It looks like he might top his career high of nine points this season, as he already has seven points (three goals and four assists) in 31 games played.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (63)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)