Dec 17, 2010, 2:30 AM EDT
There are dying traditions in sports. Some of them prompt fans to say “good riddance,” such as the pre-lockout era in which obstruction penalties were largely ignored. Others are missed, though, like the lack of quality mid-range shots in the NBA.
One thing that people miss in hockey is a well-timed hip check.
To some degree, the evolution of the game explains the increased rarity of such checks. Simply put, it’s a lot more difficult to line someone up for a hip check when the targets move that much quicker.
That doesn’t mean they’re extinct altogether, though. Montreal Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban may be a brash, cocksure young player, but he can make an impact when he’s not a healthy scratch. Just ask 22-year-old Boston Bruins forward Brad Marchand, who was walloped by Subban with this hit.
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 21
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 17
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 13
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)