Dec 17, 2010, 1:10 AM EDT
For recaps of tonight’s first seven games, click here. Let’s get to the two latest contests now.
Believe or not, Linus Omark earned last week’s goal of the week award before he actually scored his first real NHL goal. That’s because that goal came during the shootout. Instead, Omark scored his first real goal tonight, along with two assists. Jordan Eberle (two goals) and Taylor Hall (three assists) also produced on a night in which the Oilers’ youngsters were better than the Blue Jackets’ youngsters.
Kristian Huselius was explosive in defeat, scoring all three of the Blue Jackets’ tallies.
Nikolai Khabibulin stopped 37 out of 40 shots, while Steve Mason had a tough night, with Mason getting pulled after two periods because he allowed all six of Edmonton’s goals on 27 shots.
The Flames dominated “Neon” Dion Phaneuf‘s team in his return to Calgary, although the big defenseman wasn’t victimized very often (he finished the game with zero points and a +1 rating). He received some boos when he touched the puck, but nothing on the level of Dany Heatley.
Olli Jokinen (one goal and two assists), Niklas Hagman (one goal and one assist), Anton Babchuk (two assists) and Alex Tanguay (one goal) shined for the Flames in this contest.
Like Steve Mason and Curtis McElhinney, Jean-Sebastien Giguere didn’t make it through the entire start. He was pulled from the game after the second period, as he allowed four goals on 24 shots. Meanwhile, Miikka Kiprusoff had a light night, getting the win by stopping 17 out of 19 shots.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34