Dec 17, 2010, 12:38 AM EDT
Just about every sports team can come up with some legitimate excuses when they fail, but every once in a while, a club gets bamboozled by bad luck often enough that it’s tough not to give them an “incomplete” rather than a failing grade.
The St. Louis Blues seem like that team this season. They’ve been hit hard in the forward position, with David Perron, T.J. Oshie and Andy McDonald missing time. Their blueline has been black and blue too, with Roman Polak, Alex Pietrangelo and now Erik Johnson dealing with injuries.
Considering that run of bad luck along with the golf cart crash related knee injury that sidelined Johnson for the 2008-09 season, it’s not surprising that many were preparing for more awful news. Well, the bad news is that Johnson might miss a few games. The good news, though, is that the knee injury only appears to be a sprain.
The Blues are breathing a sigh of relief tonight, after learning that defenseman Erik Johnson suffered only a sprain of his right knee Wednesday night in Detroit.
“As far as the Blues go today, it’s been a good day,” Blues President John Davidson said. “Erik Johnson had an appointment with the doctor this morning … and he was sent for an MRI … and what he has is a slight sprain of the knee, and it’s day to day. So there’s not a long-term injury here, he’s relieved, we’re relieved and maybe this is a good sign for things for us to turn around finally. That’s where it is with Erik.”
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 8
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 46
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 19
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13