Dec 17, 2010, 12:38 AM EDT
Just about every sports team can come up with some legitimate excuses when they fail, but every once in a while, a club gets bamboozled by bad luck often enough that it’s tough not to give them an “incomplete” rather than a failing grade.
The St. Louis Blues seem like that team this season. They’ve been hit hard in the forward position, with David Perron, T.J. Oshie and Andy McDonald missing time. Their blueline has been black and blue too, with Roman Polak, Alex Pietrangelo and now Erik Johnson dealing with injuries.
Considering that run of bad luck along with the golf cart crash related knee injury that sidelined Johnson for the 2008-09 season, it’s not surprising that many were preparing for more awful news. Well, the bad news is that Johnson might miss a few games. The good news, though, is that the knee injury only appears to be a sprain.
The Blues are breathing a sigh of relief tonight, after learning that defenseman Erik Johnson suffered only a sprain of his right knee Wednesday night in Detroit.
“As far as the Blues go today, it’s been a good day,” Blues President John Davidson said. “Erik Johnson had an appointment with the doctor this morning … and he was sent for an MRI … and what he has is a slight sprain of the knee, and it’s day to day. So there’s not a long-term injury here, he’s relieved, we’re relieved and maybe this is a good sign for things for us to turn around finally. That’s where it is with Erik.”
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)