Dec 17, 2010, 12:38 AM EDT
Just about every sports team can come up with some legitimate excuses when they fail, but every once in a while, a club gets bamboozled by bad luck often enough that it’s tough not to give them an “incomplete” rather than a failing grade.
The St. Louis Blues seem like that team this season. They’ve been hit hard in the forward position, with David Perron, T.J. Oshie and Andy McDonald missing time. Their blueline has been black and blue too, with Roman Polak, Alex Pietrangelo and now Erik Johnson dealing with injuries.
Considering that run of bad luck along with the golf cart crash related knee injury that sidelined Johnson for the 2008-09 season, it’s not surprising that many were preparing for more awful news. Well, the bad news is that Johnson might miss a few games. The good news, though, is that the knee injury only appears to be a sprain.
The Blues are breathing a sigh of relief tonight, after learning that defenseman Erik Johnson suffered only a sprain of his right knee Wednesday night in Detroit.
“As far as the Blues go today, it’s been a good day,” Blues President John Davidson said. “Erik Johnson had an appointment with the doctor this morning … and he was sent for an MRI … and what he has is a slight sprain of the knee, and it’s day to day. So there’s not a long-term injury here, he’s relieved, we’re relieved and maybe this is a good sign for things for us to turn around finally. That’s where it is with Erik.”
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 6
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 56
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)