Dec 17, 2010, 4:06 PM EST
Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman downplayed – but didn’t totally deny – the talk that newly minted free agent goalie Evgeni Nabokov could help the up-and-coming team take a step forward in net.
Simply put, Dan Ellis and Mike Smith are struggling despite the fact that the Lightning are tied with the St. Louis Blues for the league lead in allowing the least amount of shots allowed per game (27.1). Ellis is 8-5-4 with a pitiful 87.6 save percentage and 3.23 goals against average and Smith’s numbers are nearly identical (9-5-0 with an 87.9 save percentage and 3.36 goals against average).
The “Mendoza line” for a starting NHL goalie is around 90 percent and every percentage point is actually a pretty big deal, so it’s obvious that the Lightning are receiving well below average play from their goalies.
Now, there’s also no doubt that Nabokov is having a tough year. While the KHL said that they terminated his contract for “family circumstances,” the goalie clearly wasn’t earning his $6 million pay check. So if an NHL team signs him, it will be with his 10 seasons in San Jose in mind, not his semi-disastrous run in the KHL.
While it might be some time before Nabby returns to pro hockey, we couldn’t help but wonder which team would make the most sense. The Washington Capitals and (his former team) San Jose Sharks earned a lot of votes, but the team that received the most is Tampa Bay.
Obviously, adding Nabokov would develop a crowded situation in the Lightning net.
That being said, the Lightning boast plenty of cap space ($11.35 million, according to CapGeek.com) and their other two goalies might not be that tough to move. Smith is in the last year of a contract that nets an annual $2.2 million cap hit while Ellis has an affordable two-year, $3 million deal. Whether it be through a trade or placing those goalies on waivers, the team could lose one (or both) of Smith and Ellis.
Of course, it all comes down to whether or not Yzerman actually wants to do that. We’ll have to wait and see there, but if you ask PHT readers, Nabokov would make a lot of sense in a bolts uniform.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 37
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 10
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 35
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (57)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (41)