Dec 17, 2010, 7:11 PM EST
Bad news for the Maple Leafs today once again surrounding starting goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere. Giguere is being sidelined yet again, this time indefinitely, with a nagging groin injury. Giguere suffered the injury last night in the Leafs hapless 5-2 loss to Calgary and for Toronto, this is becoming all too familiar territory.
This marks the third time this year that Giguere has had to miss time with a groin injury and, as you could guess, having healthy groin muscles is key for a goaltender. Just ask Kari Lehtonen.
For the Leafs, it becomes Jonas Gustavsson’s show once again as the starter while Giguere is out. James Reimer was recalled from the AHL today to be his backup, but it’ll be the “Monster” getting all the work. Gustavsson has been decent with a .901 save percentage and a 2.91 goals against average. He’s show flashes of brilliance when he’s played but, much like with everyone on Toronto this year, has had fits of glaring mediocrity. How Toronto soldiers on without Giguere will tell us about how much they care about this season. More efforts like the one in Calgary last night, and this frustrating season will just get worse.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 43
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (44)