Dec 17, 2010, 7:11 PM EDT
Bad news for the Maple Leafs today once again surrounding starting goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere. Giguere is being sidelined yet again, this time indefinitely, with a nagging groin injury. Giguere suffered the injury last night in the Leafs hapless 5-2 loss to Calgary and for Toronto, this is becoming all too familiar territory.
This marks the third time this year that Giguere has had to miss time with a groin injury and, as you could guess, having healthy groin muscles is key for a goaltender. Just ask Kari Lehtonen.
For the Leafs, it becomes Jonas Gustavsson’s show once again as the starter while Giguere is out. James Reimer was recalled from the AHL today to be his backup, but it’ll be the “Monster” getting all the work. Gustavsson has been decent with a .901 save percentage and a 2.91 goals against average. He’s show flashes of brilliance when he’s played but, much like with everyone on Toronto this year, has had fits of glaring mediocrity. How Toronto soldiers on without Giguere will tell us about how much they care about this season. More efforts like the one in Calgary last night, and this frustrating season will just get worse.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 14
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15