Dec 17, 2010, 7:11 PM EDT
Bad news for the Maple Leafs today once again surrounding starting goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere. Giguere is being sidelined yet again, this time indefinitely, with a nagging groin injury. Giguere suffered the injury last night in the Leafs hapless 5-2 loss to Calgary and for Toronto, this is becoming all too familiar territory.
This marks the third time this year that Giguere has had to miss time with a groin injury and, as you could guess, having healthy groin muscles is key for a goaltender. Just ask Kari Lehtonen.
For the Leafs, it becomes Jonas Gustavsson’s show once again as the starter while Giguere is out. James Reimer was recalled from the AHL today to be his backup, but it’ll be the “Monster” getting all the work. Gustavsson has been decent with a .901 save percentage and a 2.91 goals against average. He’s show flashes of brilliance when he’s played but, much like with everyone on Toronto this year, has had fits of glaring mediocrity. How Toronto soldiers on without Giguere will tell us about how much they care about this season. More efforts like the one in Calgary last night, and this frustrating season will just get worse.
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 39
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 70
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 9
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 24
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 32
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 65
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 35
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)