Dec 17, 2010, 7:11 PM EST
Bad news for the Maple Leafs today once again surrounding starting goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere. Giguere is being sidelined yet again, this time indefinitely, with a nagging groin injury. Giguere suffered the injury last night in the Leafs hapless 5-2 loss to Calgary and for Toronto, this is becoming all too familiar territory.
This marks the third time this year that Giguere has had to miss time with a groin injury and, as you could guess, having healthy groin muscles is key for a goaltender. Just ask Kari Lehtonen.
For the Leafs, it becomes Jonas Gustavsson’s show once again as the starter while Giguere is out. James Reimer was recalled from the AHL today to be his backup, but it’ll be the “Monster” getting all the work. Gustavsson has been decent with a .901 save percentage and a 2.91 goals against average. He’s show flashes of brilliance when he’s played but, much like with everyone on Toronto this year, has had fits of glaring mediocrity. How Toronto soldiers on without Giguere will tell us about how much they care about this season. More efforts like the one in Calgary last night, and this frustrating season will just get worse.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)