Dec 17, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
Right now, Linus Omark owns more goal of the night awards than he does regulation goals.
OK, let me explain: his much-discussed shootout goal earned the December 6-12 goal of the week award, but technically wasn’t his first real goal. Nope, his first career regular season NHL goal came Thursday night, as the Oilers’ young talent flabbergasted Steve Mason and the Columbus Blue Jackets to the tune of a 6-3 win.
Edmonton might be a year or two from being a true contender in the tough-as-nails Western Conference, but they’re already moving up the “much watch list” for many hockey fans. The team boasts the kind of brash young talent that must make Toronto Maple Leafs/Calgary Flames/any wayward team’s fan base extremely jealous.
Sometimes the team might have a shaggy dog sense to them, but at least this dog is learning some new tricks.
The question is: will Omark ever score a goal that isn’t amazing? (Not that we’re complaining, naturally.)
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 1
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)