Dec 17, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Let’s take a look at Friday’s foursome of hockey games. As always, start times are based on Eastern Standard Time (ET).
Nashville @ New Jersey
The Predators are on a four-game winning streak, which really just puts them into the thick of things in the very clogged Western Conference. It’s almost as if they really are comfortable without their top goalie, as Anders Lindback is substitute goaltending for Pekka Rinne.
Meanwhile, the Devils are just bad, but they have been looking stronger lately.
Buffalo @ Florida
Both the Sabres and Panthers are on the outside looking in when it comes to the Eastern Conference playoff picture. The two teams seem to be on different paths, though, as Buffalo is improving while Florida seems like they’re sinking into the lower depths of obscurity. Which happens to be pretty familiar territory for the Panthers.
Detroit @ Chicago
Things are looking pretty dire for the Blackhawks, with a three-game losing streak placing them at the bottom of the Central Division. In fact, Chicao is at the bottom of a five-way tie for eighth place in the East. Meanwhile, the Red Wings are the only Western Conference team above 40 standings points (43 in 30 games played).
Ottawa @ Colorado
The Avalanche are quietly one of the hotter teams in the NHL, as they’re tied with the Canucks atop the Northwest (although Vancouver owns the tie-breaker because they’ve played two less games). They’ve scored 112 goals, only one less than the Flyers’ league leading 113 in two less games, so Pascal Leclaire or Brian Elliott better be in top form tonight.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 43
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)