Dec 17, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Let’s take a look at Friday’s foursome of hockey games. As always, start times are based on Eastern Standard Time (ET).
Nashville @ New Jersey
The Predators are on a four-game winning streak, which really just puts them into the thick of things in the very clogged Western Conference. It’s almost as if they really are comfortable without their top goalie, as Anders Lindback is substitute goaltending for Pekka Rinne.
Meanwhile, the Devils are just bad, but they have been looking stronger lately.
Buffalo @ Florida
Both the Sabres and Panthers are on the outside looking in when it comes to the Eastern Conference playoff picture. The two teams seem to be on different paths, though, as Buffalo is improving while Florida seems like they’re sinking into the lower depths of obscurity. Which happens to be pretty familiar territory for the Panthers.
Detroit @ Chicago
Things are looking pretty dire for the Blackhawks, with a three-game losing streak placing them at the bottom of the Central Division. In fact, Chicao is at the bottom of a five-way tie for eighth place in the East. Meanwhile, the Red Wings are the only Western Conference team above 40 standings points (43 in 30 games played).
Ottawa @ Colorado
The Avalanche are quietly one of the hotter teams in the NHL, as they’re tied with the Canucks atop the Northwest (although Vancouver owns the tie-breaker because they’ve played two less games). They’ve scored 112 goals, only one less than the Flyers’ league leading 113 in two less games, so Pascal Leclaire or Brian Elliott better be in top form tonight.
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 0
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 16
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)