Dec 16, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
When it comes to indefensible acts of villainy, there aren’t many things that can top stealing from an aggrieved family during a funeral. That’s exactly what happened during Pat Burns’ funeral, as someone reportedly stole suitcases that contained 30 autographed jerseys from the car of Line Gignac (Burns’ widow) on November 30th.
The jerseys were meant to be sold in a charitable auction, but instead, they were missing in action in a despicable act of theft.
While more than half of the missing jerseys still need to be accounted for, the QMI Agency reports that a security agency returned 12 of the 30 autographed jerseys to Burns’ family.
Let’s hope that the other 18 jerseys resurface so that Burns’ family – and whomever else might have benefited from the auctions – can move on and recover from the great coach’s loss.
Denis Morin, a project manager with the Montreal security company, said it all started with a phone call earlier this week.
“It was a call from someone who’s helped us out before,” Morin said in an interview. “She said she had something to give us and said it was the jerseys signed (for) Pat Burns.”
The woman handed over 12 of 30 missing jerseys a few days later.
“We’re hoping to get all the jerseys,” Morin said. “We hope this visibility, which shows we did indeed return the jerseys, will encourage people to return the rest.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)