Dec 16, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
When it comes to indefensible acts of villainy, there aren’t many things that can top stealing from an aggrieved family during a funeral. That’s exactly what happened during Pat Burns’ funeral, as someone reportedly stole suitcases that contained 30 autographed jerseys from the car of Line Gignac (Burns’ widow) on November 30th.
The jerseys were meant to be sold in a charitable auction, but instead, they were missing in action in a despicable act of theft.
While more than half of the missing jerseys still need to be accounted for, the QMI Agency reports that a security agency returned 12 of the 30 autographed jerseys to Burns’ family.
Let’s hope that the other 18 jerseys resurface so that Burns’ family – and whomever else might have benefited from the auctions – can move on and recover from the great coach’s loss.
Denis Morin, a project manager with the Montreal security company, said it all started with a phone call earlier this week.
“It was a call from someone who’s helped us out before,” Morin said in an interview. “She said she had something to give us and said it was the jerseys signed (for) Pat Burns.”
The woman handed over 12 of 30 missing jerseys a few days later.
“We’re hoping to get all the jerseys,” Morin said. “We hope this visibility, which shows we did indeed return the jerseys, will encourage people to return the rest.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)