Dec 16, 2010, 9:45 AM EST
During last night’s 4-1 Rangers win over Pittsburgh, New York forward Ryan Callahan left the game in the first period after blocking a shot and did not return. Losing Callahan from the lineup didn’t hurt the Rangers as they went on to storm through the third period scoring four goals to take the game, but afterward the news on Callahan was not good.
Callahan will be out for the next six weeks with a broken left hand and creating a new hole in the Rangers starting unit. The team welcomed back captain Chris Drury to the lineup just last night and right when it seemed like the Rangers would finally be able to suit up a 100% healthy lineup, down goes Callahan.
Fortunately for the Rangers they’ve been dealing with adversity all season long being without Drury and Vinny Prospal for most of the season already and without Marian Gaborik for a short period of time. They’ll have to build on those abilities to cope and have to do it while making up for the production from Callahan who is the team’s second leading scorer. As for who could get the call from the minor leagues to fill his spot for the time being, we could see Evgeny Grachev, Jeremy Williams, or Mats Zuccarello getting the call.
Here’s video of Callahan getting injured last night if you’re curious to see how it all unfolded.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)