Dec 16, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
During last night’s 4-1 Rangers win over Pittsburgh, New York forward Ryan Callahan left the game in the first period after blocking a shot and did not return. Losing Callahan from the lineup didn’t hurt the Rangers as they went on to storm through the third period scoring four goals to take the game, but afterward the news on Callahan was not good.
Callahan will be out for the next six weeks with a broken left hand and creating a new hole in the Rangers starting unit. The team welcomed back captain Chris Drury to the lineup just last night and right when it seemed like the Rangers would finally be able to suit up a 100% healthy lineup, down goes Callahan.
Fortunately for the Rangers they’ve been dealing with adversity all season long being without Drury and Vinny Prospal for most of the season already and without Marian Gaborik for a short period of time. They’ll have to build on those abilities to cope and have to do it while making up for the production from Callahan who is the team’s second leading scorer. As for who could get the call from the minor leagues to fill his spot for the time being, we could see Evgeny Grachev, Jeremy Williams, or Mats Zuccarello getting the call.
Here’s video of Callahan getting injured last night if you’re curious to see how it all unfolded.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)