Dec 16, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
During last night’s 4-1 Rangers win over Pittsburgh, New York forward Ryan Callahan left the game in the first period after blocking a shot and did not return. Losing Callahan from the lineup didn’t hurt the Rangers as they went on to storm through the third period scoring four goals to take the game, but afterward the news on Callahan was not good.
Callahan will be out for the next six weeks with a broken left hand and creating a new hole in the Rangers starting unit. The team welcomed back captain Chris Drury to the lineup just last night and right when it seemed like the Rangers would finally be able to suit up a 100% healthy lineup, down goes Callahan.
Fortunately for the Rangers they’ve been dealing with adversity all season long being without Drury and Vinny Prospal for most of the season already and without Marian Gaborik for a short period of time. They’ll have to build on those abilities to cope and have to do it while making up for the production from Callahan who is the team’s second leading scorer. As for who could get the call from the minor leagues to fill his spot for the time being, we could see Evgeny Grachev, Jeremy Williams, or Mats Zuccarello getting the call.
Here’s video of Callahan getting injured last night if you’re curious to see how it all unfolded.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 2
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 12
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 53
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)