Dec 16, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
During last night’s 4-1 Rangers win over Pittsburgh, New York forward Ryan Callahan left the game in the first period after blocking a shot and did not return. Losing Callahan from the lineup didn’t hurt the Rangers as they went on to storm through the third period scoring four goals to take the game, but afterward the news on Callahan was not good.
Callahan will be out for the next six weeks with a broken left hand and creating a new hole in the Rangers starting unit. The team welcomed back captain Chris Drury to the lineup just last night and right when it seemed like the Rangers would finally be able to suit up a 100% healthy lineup, down goes Callahan.
Fortunately for the Rangers they’ve been dealing with adversity all season long being without Drury and Vinny Prospal for most of the season already and without Marian Gaborik for a short period of time. They’ll have to build on those abilities to cope and have to do it while making up for the production from Callahan who is the team’s second leading scorer. As for who could get the call from the minor leagues to fill his spot for the time being, we could see Evgeny Grachev, Jeremy Williams, or Mats Zuccarello getting the call.
Here’s video of Callahan getting injured last night if you’re curious to see how it all unfolded.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)