Dec 16, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
During last night’s 4-1 Rangers win over Pittsburgh, New York forward Ryan Callahan left the game in the first period after blocking a shot and did not return. Losing Callahan from the lineup didn’t hurt the Rangers as they went on to storm through the third period scoring four goals to take the game, but afterward the news on Callahan was not good.
Callahan will be out for the next six weeks with a broken left hand and creating a new hole in the Rangers starting unit. The team welcomed back captain Chris Drury to the lineup just last night and right when it seemed like the Rangers would finally be able to suit up a 100% healthy lineup, down goes Callahan.
Fortunately for the Rangers they’ve been dealing with adversity all season long being without Drury and Vinny Prospal for most of the season already and without Marian Gaborik for a short period of time. They’ll have to build on those abilities to cope and have to do it while making up for the production from Callahan who is the team’s second leading scorer. As for who could get the call from the minor leagues to fill his spot for the time being, we could see Evgeny Grachev, Jeremy Williams, or Mats Zuccarello getting the call.
Here’s video of Callahan getting injured last night if you’re curious to see how it all unfolded.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)