Dec 16, 2010, 10:21 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings defenseman Matt Greene was one of those guys who made a nice – if subtle – difference for his team. He doesn’t score many points from the blueline, but his solid (sometimes rugged) defense was an underrated element in the team’s playoff run in 2009-10.
Greene started off the 2010-11 season slowly because of off-season surgery, but played 22 consecutive games until tonight’s match against the St. Louis Blues (currently 4-4). He missed tonight’s game because he’s not feeling well after colliding with Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall, which isn’t exactly a rare reaction for a hockey player to have with a Swedish defenseman who strikes me as the Rodney Harrison of hockey.
(To be fair, Kronwall isn’t quite as dirty as the oft-suspended former NFL safety occasionally was.)
There was some confusion from Kings coach Terry Murray, who was surprised that Greene didn’t return to that game after the hit and seemed to be a bit in the dark about the status of his “wobbly” defenseman.
“I’m not feeling that well,” Greene said after today’s morning skate, in which he did not participate. “It’s probably about the same as yesterday, but I just thought it would get better with time. So far, it hasn’t.”
Greene left Monday’s game after the first period, and Murray expressed some confusion as to why Greene did not return to the game. Murray pronounced Greene ready to play, and Greene practiced Wednesday in St. Louis, but Murray said Greene came to him this morning and said he did not feel well enough to skate. Murray was asked if Greene’s change in status surprised him…
MURRAY: “Yeah, it does. After the conversations I had immediately after the game in Detroit the other night, and then through the day off — we had the off-ice workout — everything was great. I had a meeting, actually, with my leadership group upstairs, and he’s a part of that, and everything was good. He practiced yesterday.”
“Wobbly” sounds a bit like the symptoms of a concussion, but I’m no doctor. Then again, maybe Greene should see one if his problems continue.
Check out video of the hit below.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)