Dec 16, 2010, 4:47 PM EDT
Whether he chooses to be or not, Lightning goalie Dan Ellis ends up the focus of attention. We saw it earlier this year when he spoke out about how he worries about money and it happened again after Edmonton’s Linus Omark beat Tampa Bay with a remarkable spinorama goal in the shootout. The Lightning didn’t appreciate Omark’s show of flair and sparked a debate over whether or not it’s disrespectful to do something like that in the game.
Today during Lightning practice, they decided to have a little bit of fun and work on some spinoramas of their own. Keeping it lighthearted and fun (and amongst your teammates) does a lot to help keep cooler heads prevailed. In Dan Ellis’ case, it helped him to calm down and enjoy the finer points of offensive hockey. Mike Corcoran of ESPN 1040 in Tampa has the story.
After practice, Dan Ellis talked a bit about the controversy about spin-o-rama’s in shootouts.
“I think a lot was made of the Omark thing.” Ellis said. “Bottom line, the kid scored. If he does something like that, that gets the fans off their feet in like it did in Edmonton, so be it. I think it was a little bit touchy for our team because it was the kid’s first game and we thought it was a bit gutsy. In the end, if we want to go spin every time and put the puck in the net, then so be it.”
You know that Ellis didn’t like being the guy that was the “victim” of such a highlight reel goal and it’s a point of pride for a goaltender to not end up being “posterized” like that. You can read it in his words here that he’s still a bit ticked about but realizes that continuing to harp on it won’t do him nor the rest of the team any favors in the court of public opinion.
Of course, if Ellis and the rest of the Lightning and anyone else that didn’t care for his move doesn’t like it, they can just stop him from scoring.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 5
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)