Dec 16, 2010, 4:47 PM EDT
Whether he chooses to be or not, Lightning goalie Dan Ellis ends up the focus of attention. We saw it earlier this year when he spoke out about how he worries about money and it happened again after Edmonton’s Linus Omark beat Tampa Bay with a remarkable spinorama goal in the shootout. The Lightning didn’t appreciate Omark’s show of flair and sparked a debate over whether or not it’s disrespectful to do something like that in the game.
Today during Lightning practice, they decided to have a little bit of fun and work on some spinoramas of their own. Keeping it lighthearted and fun (and amongst your teammates) does a lot to help keep cooler heads prevailed. In Dan Ellis’ case, it helped him to calm down and enjoy the finer points of offensive hockey. Mike Corcoran of ESPN 1040 in Tampa has the story.
After practice, Dan Ellis talked a bit about the controversy about spin-o-rama’s in shootouts.
“I think a lot was made of the Omark thing.” Ellis said. “Bottom line, the kid scored. If he does something like that, that gets the fans off their feet in like it did in Edmonton, so be it. I think it was a little bit touchy for our team because it was the kid’s first game and we thought it was a bit gutsy. In the end, if we want to go spin every time and put the puck in the net, then so be it.”
You know that Ellis didn’t like being the guy that was the “victim” of such a highlight reel goal and it’s a point of pride for a goaltender to not end up being “posterized” like that. You can read it in his words here that he’s still a bit ticked about but realizes that continuing to harp on it won’t do him nor the rest of the team any favors in the court of public opinion.
Of course, if Ellis and the rest of the Lightning and anyone else that didn’t care for his move doesn’t like it, they can just stop him from scoring.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)