Dec 16, 2010, 3:48 AM EDT
If you’re thinking it seemed out of character for the Flyers to blow a 3-1 lead in the third period against Montreal last night before rallying late to win the game 5-3, you’d be right. You’ll also need to know there’s a good reason for the lack of defensive presence as well because Chris Pronger didn’t play in the third period thanks to a lower body injury.
It’s unknown how serious, if at all, the injury is but Pronger is playing on a surgically repaired right knee and is also 36 years-old to boot. With Pronger’s health being key to the long-term success of the Flyers, expect the Flyers to be careful with him. Should Pronger have to come out of the lineup, the team doesn’t have any salary cap flexibility to make a move and will go with Oskars Bartulis to take his spot in the lineup.
For now though, the Flyers got a taste of what life is like without Pronger in the lineup in the third period and that’s a future they’d like to avoid if at all possible. While they were still able to pull out a win over Montreal, seeing the Habs roar back into the game at home had to be distressing to head coach Peter Laviolette.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)