Dec 16, 2010, 3:48 AM EDT
If you’re thinking it seemed out of character for the Flyers to blow a 3-1 lead in the third period against Montreal last night before rallying late to win the game 5-3, you’d be right. You’ll also need to know there’s a good reason for the lack of defensive presence as well because Chris Pronger didn’t play in the third period thanks to a lower body injury.
It’s unknown how serious, if at all, the injury is but Pronger is playing on a surgically repaired right knee and is also 36 years-old to boot. With Pronger’s health being key to the long-term success of the Flyers, expect the Flyers to be careful with him. Should Pronger have to come out of the lineup, the team doesn’t have any salary cap flexibility to make a move and will go with Oskars Bartulis to take his spot in the lineup.
For now though, the Flyers got a taste of what life is like without Pronger in the lineup in the third period and that’s a future they’d like to avoid if at all possible. While they were still able to pull out a win over Montreal, seeing the Habs roar back into the game at home had to be distressing to head coach Peter Laviolette.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 54
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 55
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 162
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (164)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)