Dec 16, 2010, 3:48 AM EDT
If you’re thinking it seemed out of character for the Flyers to blow a 3-1 lead in the third period against Montreal last night before rallying late to win the game 5-3, you’d be right. You’ll also need to know there’s a good reason for the lack of defensive presence as well because Chris Pronger didn’t play in the third period thanks to a lower body injury.
It’s unknown how serious, if at all, the injury is but Pronger is playing on a surgically repaired right knee and is also 36 years-old to boot. With Pronger’s health being key to the long-term success of the Flyers, expect the Flyers to be careful with him. Should Pronger have to come out of the lineup, the team doesn’t have any salary cap flexibility to make a move and will go with Oskars Bartulis to take his spot in the lineup.
For now though, the Flyers got a taste of what life is like without Pronger in the lineup in the third period and that’s a future they’d like to avoid if at all possible. While they were still able to pull out a win over Montreal, seeing the Habs roar back into the game at home had to be distressing to head coach Peter Laviolette.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 0
- Avs’ Parenteau (knee) likely out for remainder of regular season, playoffs unclear 0
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 14
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 17
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)