Dec 15, 2010, 8:25 PM EST
While tonight’s game against Pittsburgh was viewed to be a big one for the Rangers with getting captain Chris Drury back into the lineup, the good mojo didn’t even last a full period. The team’s second leading scorer left tonight’s game after breaking his hand blocking a shot.
Callahan has 23 points this year (10 goals, 13 assists) and has been the unquestionable character leader of the team. While guys like Brandon Dubinsky are the vocal leader of the team, Callahan is the guy that leads by example on the ice. It’s unknown as of now how long he’ll be out of the lineup, but this Rangers team has done well this year while having key players out of the lineup for long stretches of time. Drury’s missed most of the season thanks to finger issues, Vinny Prospal has missed the whole season thus far, Marian Gaborik has missed time as well.
With Callahan poised to be out of the lineup for some time, the Rangers have to hope that Drury’s return can help spark them and generate the offense they’ll lose. If Drury can score and Prospal comes back soon as well, the offense will stay strong in New York and keep them moving right along.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 11
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)