Dec 15, 2010, 8:25 PM EDT
While tonight’s game against Pittsburgh was viewed to be a big one for the Rangers with getting captain Chris Drury back into the lineup, the good mojo didn’t even last a full period. The team’s second leading scorer left tonight’s game after breaking his hand blocking a shot.
Callahan has 23 points this year (10 goals, 13 assists) and has been the unquestionable character leader of the team. While guys like Brandon Dubinsky are the vocal leader of the team, Callahan is the guy that leads by example on the ice. It’s unknown as of now how long he’ll be out of the lineup, but this Rangers team has done well this year while having key players out of the lineup for long stretches of time. Drury’s missed most of the season thanks to finger issues, Vinny Prospal has missed the whole season thus far, Marian Gaborik has missed time as well.
With Callahan poised to be out of the lineup for some time, the Rangers have to hope that Drury’s return can help spark them and generate the offense they’ll lose. If Drury can score and Prospal comes back soon as well, the offense will stay strong in New York and keep them moving right along.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 11
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22