Dec 15, 2010, 10:01 PM EDT
Now that he’s in retirement, former NHL enforcer Georges Laraque has become better known for his spins on the ice on CBC’s “Battle of the Blades” as well as an occasional political activist for the Green Party. After an NHL career in which he racked up 1,126 penalty minutes over 12 seasons, Laraque is moving on to a career as an activist of sorts. You may also better know him for his role in helping the NHL raise money for earthquake victims in Haiti where his family hails from.
Big Georges is also apparently a big time animal lover as well. When I say a “big time” animal lover I am referring to the size of the beast. Laraque is petitioning an Edmonton zoo to have an elephant from there moved to a warm weather elephant sanctuary. CTV Montreal has the story.
Former hockey pugilist Georges Laraque is offering up $100,000 if the City of Edmonton will move Lucy, a zoo elephant he says is suffering from cold and isolation.
Laraque has written a letter to Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel, saying he will put the money toward a new downtown hockey rink or to other projects if the city will move the 35-year-old Asian elephant to a warm-weather elephant sanctuary.
He says Lucy’s health problems and signs of mental distress mandate a move, adding that elephant exhibits — especially in cold climates — are out of date and being phased out.
You don’t usually get to see this side of an NHL player past or present and it’s pretty cool to see a guy who made his living beating the snot out of his opponents doing so much to help causes like this that do some good things. Branching it out to do something to help an animal in captivity and turning it into something to benefit the Edmonton community is truly something for the feel-good department not to mention being incredibly random as well.
(stick tap to Kukla’s Korner for finding this one)
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)