Dec 15, 2010, 10:01 PM EDT
Now that he’s in retirement, former NHL enforcer Georges Laraque has become better known for his spins on the ice on CBC’s “Battle of the Blades” as well as an occasional political activist for the Green Party. After an NHL career in which he racked up 1,126 penalty minutes over 12 seasons, Laraque is moving on to a career as an activist of sorts. You may also better know him for his role in helping the NHL raise money for earthquake victims in Haiti where his family hails from.
Big Georges is also apparently a big time animal lover as well. When I say a “big time” animal lover I am referring to the size of the beast. Laraque is petitioning an Edmonton zoo to have an elephant from there moved to a warm weather elephant sanctuary. CTV Montreal has the story.
Former hockey pugilist Georges Laraque is offering up $100,000 if the City of Edmonton will move Lucy, a zoo elephant he says is suffering from cold and isolation.
Laraque has written a letter to Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel, saying he will put the money toward a new downtown hockey rink or to other projects if the city will move the 35-year-old Asian elephant to a warm-weather elephant sanctuary.
He says Lucy’s health problems and signs of mental distress mandate a move, adding that elephant exhibits — especially in cold climates — are out of date and being phased out.
You don’t usually get to see this side of an NHL player past or present and it’s pretty cool to see a guy who made his living beating the snot out of his opponents doing so much to help causes like this that do some good things. Branching it out to do something to help an animal in captivity and turning it into something to benefit the Edmonton community is truly something for the feel-good department not to mention being incredibly random as well.
(stick tap to Kukla’s Korner for finding this one)
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54