Dec 15, 2010, 2:40 PM EDT
Somehow, 29 NHL teams passed on a player who costs $5.06 million per season and whose age takes away the opportunity to hide his salary cap hit in the minors.
It turns out that Brian Rolston is still the New Jersey Devils’ problem, at least for now. The hard-shooting veteran forward cleared waivers this afternoon and therefore finds himself prepping for the team’s game against the Phoenix Coyotes at the Prudential Center tonight.
Going forward, the Devils have a few options. The first is to simply let him play with the big club/hope he gets hurt enough to go back on the long-term injured reserve. Failing that, New Jersey could send him to Albany in the AHL, but that would be illogical because his salary cap hit would still impact the pro team. Failing those two options would leave the Devils with one other alternative: they can place Rolston on re-entry waivers.
If an NHL team claimed him on re-entry waivers, the Devils would be responsible for paying half his salary and would take on half of his salary cap hit while his new team would cover the other 50 percent.
It might be a tough period for Rolston, but he is at least saying all the right things. Here is what he told the Newark Star Ledger.
“It’s a business. We understand that,” said Rolston following the skate. “It definitely difficult but at the same time, I’ve been around for a while. I don’t think it affects me as much as it would maybe a young player. So I feel fortunate about that.
“I’m a professional. I’ll be prepared to play tonight. I’ll play as hard as I possibly can.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)