Dec 14, 2010, 11:41 AM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning are in the thick of things in the Southeast Division and they’re going to be getting a little bit better soon. Lightning captain Vincent Lecavalier returned to the ice this morning for team practice. He was sporting a red non-contact jersey, but getting back on the ice nonetheless. It’s expected he’ll be able to return to the Lightning lineup in a week or two.
Lecavalier has been out the last few weeks with a broken hand suffered against Washington back on November 11th. While Lecavalier has been recovering from hand surgery, Steve Stamkos has officially taken over as the team’s main source of offense teaming up with Martin St. Louis to be one of the NHL’s top scoring tandems. Lecavalier will return to have Simon Gagne and Ryan Malone to skate with him on the second line. Both of those guys have had their issues scoring this year, but having Lecavalier return should help alleviate some of those problems.
The bigger problems in Tampa Bay, for now, surround having wildly inconsistent goaltending. If neither Dan Ellis nor Mike Smith can prove themselves to be capable of stopping pucks on a regular basis then the talk of having Evgeni Nabokov join the team when he returns to North America in the near future will only grow stronger.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 83
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (83)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)