Philadelphia passes Pittsburgh with win as they end Penguins’ streak, but cannot keep Crosby off the board
Dec 14, 2010, 10:04 PM EDT
It had to happen some time, but surely the Pittsburgh Penguins would have preferred that their winning streak would end against … oh, any of the other 28 teams in the NHL besides the Philadelphia Flyers.
Yet their cross-state rivals were the team to halt their winning streak at 12 games, as the Flyers took the lead in the Atlantic Division (as well as the Eastern Conference and NHL) by beating the Penguins in a tightly fought game on Versus tonight.
One thing that didn’t end was Sidney Crosby’s point scoring streak. Crosby has now matched his longest career span with at least a point in 19 consecutive games (20 goals and 18 assists for 38 points, including three game winning goals and two hat tricks).
Crosby’s two assists weren’t enough for the Penguins to win this game, so now the Flyers own a one point lead over their division rivals atop the entire NHL.
Philadelphia never trailed in the game, taking a 1-0 lead with Claude Giroux, a 2-1 lead with Nikolai Zherdev and finally got the 3-2 game winner thanks to a deflection goal by Scott Hartnell.
One positive thing for the Pittsburgh Penguins is that Evgeni Malkin made a mark in his return from injury, scoring both of his team’s goals on the power play. (Of course, he also coughed up a costly turnover, so it wasn’t all roses for the struggling Russian.)
Marc-Andre Fleury made some amazing stops and kept the Penguins in the game (stopping 34 out of 37 shots), but Brian Boucher did just enough to earn his third win in a row (stopping 21 out of 23 shots).
It’s been one of those under-the-radar stories the past month: while Pittsburgh made big noise with their red-hot streak, Philadelphia kept right behind them most of the way. Now after all that bombast, the Flyers are still ahead of the Penguins in the standings.
From the looks of things, it should be an awfully fun race to watch … especially when the two teams line up against each other.
Sep 5, 2015, 10:51 AM EDT
He excelled in the KHL.
Sep 5, 2015, 9:21 AM EDT
He’s Ottawa’s all-time leader in games played.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He’s wise to be patient with Carey Price cemented in the No. 1 spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
They previously visited Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Daniel Paille still looks for work.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $950K.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Friday’s interesting tidbits in one spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 17
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)