Dec 14, 2010, 4:13 PM EDT
The Penguins are winners of 12 straight games and are on so much fire they should have a sign dictating how flammable they are. They’re scoring tons of goals thanks to Sidney Crosby’s current 18 game point streak and Marc-Andre Fleury has been lights out in goal. So what does a team that’s got it all working for it need? Of course they need to get their next best player back and healthy in the lineup.
Evgeni Malkin will make his return to the Penguins lineup tonight against the Flyers and give the Pens offense just that much more volatility. Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Gazette gets the scoop in a funny way directly from Malkin after the team’s skate this morning.
He confirmed after the skate that he intends to play, and did so at first in a rather novel way: By declining to answer a reporter’s questions.
Malkin, you see, has a habit of not doing interviews on gamedays, at least ones when he plans to play.
“That’s why I’m not talking,” he finally said. “Because I’m going to play.”
Before Malkin took time off to get healthy, it appeared that his game was suffering, what he’s able to do tonight against the Flyers and from here on out may dictate if that indeed was the case or if there’s something else amiss with the Russian superstar.
For now though, the Penguins look to be even more formidable having Malkin back in the lineup and even scarier still if he ends up on Crosby’s left wing. Chances of that are slim though as long as Chris Kunitz is able to start.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 19
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)