Dec 14, 2010, 9:12 PM EST
Since November 15th, hockey fans have had their chance to vote-in starters for the 2011 NHL All-Star Game in Raleigh, North Carolina. We’ll give you the occasional voting update, as fans have until January 3, 2011 to select six players (three forwards, two defensemen and one goalie) who will act as something of a fans’ First All-NHL Team.
As you can see from various results, write-in candidates made strong showings but the Pittsburgh Penguins have been particularly strong in earning high quantities of votes.
Let’s take a look at the top 10 in fan votes among forwards (the top three are highlighted to represent who would make it if the voting ended today, while write-in candidates include an asterisk).
(Note: all voting information comes via NHL.com.)
So the top three forwards are Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Toews and Steve Stamkos. Evgeni Malkin is less than 8,000 votes behind Stamkos (who deserves to be in the top three more than Malkin based on this season’s results) while Alex Ovechkin is shockingly seated at number five. The best write-in candidate among forwards is Claude Giroux with 175,008 votes.
Let’s take a look at the top five defensemen next.
Interestingly enough, the top defenseman is a write-in candidate in the form of Kris Letang. Duncan Keith holds a narrow lead over Chris Pronger for the second spot while Nicklas Lidstrom has a reasonable chance to catch up.
Dustin Byfuglien might be the biggest snub along the blueline; he ranks number 10 among defensemen with 116,459 votes despite leading all D in scoring by at least six points with 32 on the season.
Finally, let’s take a look at the top five goalies, with the would-be fan vote winner highlighted.
Not sure why Price or Fleury needed to be write-in candidates in the first place (one being the savior in Montreal, the other with a Stanley Cup on his resume), but fans fixed that problem with their votes. It’s interesting to see that Sergei Bobrovsky’s hot start hasn’t been lost on fans, either.
To review, if the voting stayed the same, the top six roster would look like:
Forwards: Crosby, Toews and Stamkos
Defensemen: Letang and Keith
So, as you can see, the Penguins (and Blackhawks) did well while write-in candidates also prospered. Again, you can still vote until January 3rd, so click here to cast your ballot.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
He was quite composed when he said it, for the record.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Anaheim forward didn’t take another shift for the remainder of the opening frame.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:54 PM EST
Veteran d-man wasn’t playing much for Tampa Bay.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Oilers looked better last night in Nashville.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:04 PM EST
Cam Talbot shuts the door again, Blueshirts win 3-0.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
“Just that idea destroys the whole credibility of an organization.”
Nov 28, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Even after Semyon Varlamov returns from injury.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Not bad for a little guy who wasn’t even drafted.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:39 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 28, 2014, 1:50 PM EST
Veteran d-man will be parked in the press box in Buffalo tonight.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Minnesota’s in Dallas tonight.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:08 PM EST
Semyon Varlamov was brilliant last season, but not so much this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:08 PM EST
Rivals meet for the second time this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
“And I say that with all due respect to the players we have.”
Nov 28, 2014, 11:35 AM EST
Nov 28, 2014, 11:22 AM EST
After missing the last 11 games with a separated shoulder.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
“Need a little more traffic, need second efforts.”
Nov 28, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
Former King, Devil and ‘Cane joins HC Lokomotiv.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
Eat some leftovers and watch some quality afternoon hockey.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:50 AM EST
He could return in about a week if things progress well.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 2
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 0
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 13
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 4
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)