Dec 14, 2010, 9:12 PM EDT
Since November 15th, hockey fans have had their chance to vote-in starters for the 2011 NHL All-Star Game in Raleigh, North Carolina. We’ll give you the occasional voting update, as fans have until January 3, 2011 to select six players (three forwards, two defensemen and one goalie) who will act as something of a fans’ First All-NHL Team.
As you can see from various results, write-in candidates made strong showings but the Pittsburgh Penguins have been particularly strong in earning high quantities of votes.
Let’s take a look at the top 10 in fan votes among forwards (the top three are highlighted to represent who would make it if the voting ended today, while write-in candidates include an asterisk).
(Note: all voting information comes via NHL.com.)
So the top three forwards are Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Toews and Steve Stamkos. Evgeni Malkin is less than 8,000 votes behind Stamkos (who deserves to be in the top three more than Malkin based on this season’s results) while Alex Ovechkin is shockingly seated at number five. The best write-in candidate among forwards is Claude Giroux with 175,008 votes.
Let’s take a look at the top five defensemen next.
Interestingly enough, the top defenseman is a write-in candidate in the form of Kris Letang. Duncan Keith holds a narrow lead over Chris Pronger for the second spot while Nicklas Lidstrom has a reasonable chance to catch up.
Dustin Byfuglien might be the biggest snub along the blueline; he ranks number 10 among defensemen with 116,459 votes despite leading all D in scoring by at least six points with 32 on the season.
Finally, let’s take a look at the top five goalies, with the would-be fan vote winner highlighted.
Not sure why Price or Fleury needed to be write-in candidates in the first place (one being the savior in Montreal, the other with a Stanley Cup on his resume), but fans fixed that problem with their votes. It’s interesting to see that Sergei Bobrovsky’s hot start hasn’t been lost on fans, either.
To review, if the voting stayed the same, the top six roster would look like:
Forwards: Crosby, Toews and Stamkos
Defensemen: Letang and Keith
So, as you can see, the Penguins (and Blackhawks) did well while write-in candidates also prospered. Again, you can still vote until January 3rd, so click here to cast your ballot.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Get out the swear jar.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Yeah, he was.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
It finally happened and it happened with a late goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Caught Taylor Hall with a heavy hit earlier in the game.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Now, can they hang on for the win?
Oct 20, 2014, 11:07 PM EDT
Talking about the Oilers perhaps trading one of their young players.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Heavy hit along the boards.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
That’s about as much trash talk as you’re going to get from Willie D.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
Alex Killorn is – again, this is based on same report – out of the lineup.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
“He’s got to go and maybe play out of the spotlight that we have here in Toronto.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I’ve played three games and it hasn’t gone even close to the way it needs to be.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Leafs add some organizational depth.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Colorado, getting some good news in goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Caps are off on a road trip to Western Canada.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Coach Cooper cites the long trip to Edmonton from Syracuse as reason to keep the rookie out against the Oilers.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
A fairly well-deserved honor.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Matt Bartkowski expected to step in tomorrow versus San Jose.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Already has seven points in seven games this season.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)