Dec 13, 2010, 12:49 AM EDT
Hockey fans were treated to the latest deluge of alternate sweaters in November, presumably in time for Black Friday and the holidays. From the solid but slightly uninspired Columbus Blue Jackets cannon-laced third duds to the far riskier Anaheim Ducks designs, the NHL introduced some passable but far from earth shattering new takes.
We might have our quibbles here and there with new designs, but every now and then, something awful comes along to remind us that sports teams still occasionally step on stylistic land mines.
Enter the ECHL’s wonderfully (or woefully, depending on taste) pun-based Florida Everblades, who provided the hockey world with a particularly monstrous take on their typical uniforms in time for the “holidays.” (I think Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski nails it when he points out that the jersey might as well say “Merry Christmas” since the jersey only seems to focus on that specific holiday.)
With a gaudy look that for whatever reason made me flash back to those once-in-a-generation St. Louis Blues monstrosities from the ’90s, the Everblades have created what might be this season’s most expensive “joke gift.”
For comparison’s sake, here are the team’s typical white jerseys (from the team’s Web site).
So, as you can see, the team is capable of putting together a respectable jersey.
Anyway, this brings me to a few questions:
1. What were they thinking?
2. Furthermore, did they design them in the most garish way possible to get us talking/laughing about them? If so, they succeeded.
3. Dare I ask: do you like them?
Feel free to share your thoughts on these aesthetic abominations in the comments.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)