Dec 13, 2010, 12:35 PM EST
As we mentioned during the weekend, the NHL held a disciplinary meeting with Philadelphia Flyers tough guy Jody Shelley today regarding his hit from behind on Boston Bruins defenseman Adam McQuaid.
The league made a pretty reasonable decision, handing the Flyers enforcer a two-game suspension for the hit. You can view video of the suspension-worthy boarding check at the bottom of this post.
Shelley received a five-minute major and game misconduct for the hit during the game itself. He will give up $11,827.96 in salary, which will go to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund, according to the league. The two games Shelley will miss via suspension are Tuesday’s game versus the Pittsburgh Penguins and Wednesday’s match against the Montreal Canadiens.
He will be eligible to return during Saturday’s game against the New York Rangers, if the team decides to dress the limited fighter.
To his credit, Shelley apologized for the hit. To just about everyone’s relief, it also sounds like McQuaid might be OK (he at least is saying it isn’t a head injury).
Shelley apologized to McQuaid at the time of the incident and in the hallway outside the dressing rooms. The 24-year-old defenseman did return to the ice in the third period.
“You know, he was saying to me, I could hear him on the ice saying that he didn’t mean to, so I guess, I’m not sure if maybe I don’t know if he hit a rut or what happened, but he was saying he didn’t mean to,” McQuaid said. “When I was coming off the ice, (Shelley) was waiting for me there. He said he was sorry and he didn’t mean to, so I just kind of got to take what he says.”
McQuaid said he was a little sore and stiff, but reiterated to reporters after the game that it was not a head injury.
“They did a few tests and I got checked out and everything,” he said.
It seems like the NHL made the right call compared to previous rulings, but what do you think? Is the punishment too light, too severe or just right? Let us know in the comments.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 16
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)