Dec 13, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
The NHL named its three best players for the week of December 6-12, with San Jose Sharks forward Ryane Clowe, Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury and Columbus Blue Jackets star Rick Nash earning the honors.
Let’s take a look at their respective weeks, with our thoughts combined with some tidbits from the NHL’s press release.
First star: Clowe
The burly forward is second on the Sharks with 28 points thanks to eight goals and 20 assists. Most interestingly, though (in my opinion), is the fact that he joins Dan Cleary as a rare NHL player from Newfoundland.
Clowe led all scorers last week with eight points (three goals, five assists) as the Sharks (15-10-4) won three of four games. Clowe tallied multiple points in each game, beginning with a pair of assists in a 5-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings Dec. 6. He notched one goal, one assist and a shootout tally in a 5-4 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers Dec. 8, recorded two assists in a 6-3 loss to the Buffalo Sabres Dec. 9 and scored both goals, including the overtime winner, in a 2-1 win over the Chicago Blackhawks Dec. 11.
It’s difficult to contain Fleury’s great play to one week when he’s won 11 games in a row since November 17th. You have to wonder if “MAF” is starting to encroach on Vezina Trophy nominee status with the way he’s played in the last month or so. Here are his stats from the week itself, though.
Fleury posted a 3-0-0 record, 1.67 goals-against average and .944 save percentage as the Penguins (21-8-2) extended their winning streak to 12 games. Fleury made 27 saves in a 2-1 victory over the New Jersey Devils Dec. 6, stopped 23 shots in a 5-2 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs Dec. 8 and concluded the week by making 34 saves in a 5-2 victory over the Buffalo Sabres Dec. 11.
Much like Fleury, this isn’t the first time this season that Nash earned a star of the week award. He previously earned that mark in late November as well. Let’s take a look at the week itself from the (occasionally stubbly) face of the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Nash tallied six points (three goals, three assists) in three games, helping the Blue Jackets post a pair of victories and reach the 28-game mark with the best record in franchise history (16-11-1). Nash figured in each Columbus goal last week, starting with a last-minute, game-tying goal, an assist and a shootout tally in a 3-2 victory over the Dallas Stars Dec. 6.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 8
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- Play Video: Are the Red Wings a true contender?
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3