Dec 13, 2010, 1:39 PM EST
Perhaps the most fun moment on the ice in the NHL this season occurred in last night’s Ducks-Wild game in Anaheim. After a race to get the puck in the Minnesota end, Wild captain Mikko Koivu lost his stick going for it in the corner . Getting the stick knocked out of your hands isn’t all that rare of an occurrence, but Koivu’s way of quickly getting a new stick to defend with was. His answer to getting a new stick was to “accidentally” grab Ducks star forward Bobby Ryan’s stick out of his hands.
With Koivu’s stick still laying on the ice and Ryan in need of a new piece of timber to help keep the offensive pressure up, he picked up Koivu’s downed stick. Wouldn’t you know it, the Ducks get a shot on a goal and the rebound came right to him to bury the puck in the net to give Anaheim a 5-2 lead. Ryan held up Koivu’s stick as if he was The Highlander to show him just what he had scored with, obviously still peeved, yet entertained, about having his stick literally taken out of his hands.
Making things even more amazing is that Koivu is a left-handed shot while Ryan is a right-handed shot. Ryan scored the goal on what was his forehand, but the stick’s backhand. Wonders never cease. Topping off the entertainment is the Zapruder-film like breakdown of the Ducks play-by-play crew of John Ahlers and Brian Hayward to figure out what just happened. Enjoy.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 14
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 12
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 4
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8