Kings goalie Jon Quick with performance of the season with 51-save shutout in Kings 5-0 win over Detroit
Dec 13, 2010, 10:41 PM EDT
Some nights you’re just in the zone and there’s nothing anyone, no matter who good they might be, can do about it. Such was the night for Kings goalie Jonathan Quick who earned his second shutout of the season in a 5-0 win over the Detroit Red Wings tonight. “Big deal, another goalie with a shutout,” you’re saying. Not every goalie stops 51 shots in order to earn the accomplishment, however.
Quick’s 51-save performance tonight ranks out as the top goalie performance so far this year, one in which included a second period where Quick stopped 26 shots alone. Some nights you’ve got it, and then there are other nights where you’re just performing on a level not many players can pull off. Doing it against the Red Wings, the top team in the Western Conference and fourth best offense in the league, makes it all the more impressive.
As far as where this performance ranks out all time amongst regular season games, it’s second only to Craig Anderson’s 53-save shutout in 2008 against the Islanders while he was a backup goalie for the Florida Panthers.
Anze Kopitar had two goals for Los Angeles while Drew Doughty added three assists to give the Kings more than enough offense they’d need tonight. Detroit’s Jimmy Howard, meanwhile, was the anti-Quick stopping 21 out of 26 shots. The Wings just couldn’t find a way to solve Quick and it wasn’t for a lack of trying. A performance like this could be the spark the Kings need to vault themselves back atop the Pacific Division.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)