Kings goalie Jon Quick with performance of the season with 51-save shutout in Kings 5-0 win over Detroit
Dec 13, 2010, 10:41 PM EDT
Some nights you’re just in the zone and there’s nothing anyone, no matter who good they might be, can do about it. Such was the night for Kings goalie Jonathan Quick who earned his second shutout of the season in a 5-0 win over the Detroit Red Wings tonight. “Big deal, another goalie with a shutout,” you’re saying. Not every goalie stops 51 shots in order to earn the accomplishment, however.
Quick’s 51-save performance tonight ranks out as the top goalie performance so far this year, one in which included a second period where Quick stopped 26 shots alone. Some nights you’ve got it, and then there are other nights where you’re just performing on a level not many players can pull off. Doing it against the Red Wings, the top team in the Western Conference and fourth best offense in the league, makes it all the more impressive.
As far as where this performance ranks out all time amongst regular season games, it’s second only to Craig Anderson’s 53-save shutout in 2008 against the Islanders while he was a backup goalie for the Florida Panthers.
Anze Kopitar had two goals for Los Angeles while Drew Doughty added three assists to give the Kings more than enough offense they’d need tonight. Detroit’s Jimmy Howard, meanwhile, was the anti-Quick stopping 21 out of 26 shots. The Wings just couldn’t find a way to solve Quick and it wasn’t for a lack of trying. A performance like this could be the spark the Kings need to vault themselves back atop the Pacific Division.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)