Kings goalie Jon Quick with performance of the season with 51-save shutout in Kings 5-0 win over Detroit
Dec 13, 2010, 10:41 PM EDT
Some nights you’re just in the zone and there’s nothing anyone, no matter who good they might be, can do about it. Such was the night for Kings goalie Jonathan Quick who earned his second shutout of the season in a 5-0 win over the Detroit Red Wings tonight. “Big deal, another goalie with a shutout,” you’re saying. Not every goalie stops 51 shots in order to earn the accomplishment, however.
Quick’s 51-save performance tonight ranks out as the top goalie performance so far this year, one in which included a second period where Quick stopped 26 shots alone. Some nights you’ve got it, and then there are other nights where you’re just performing on a level not many players can pull off. Doing it against the Red Wings, the top team in the Western Conference and fourth best offense in the league, makes it all the more impressive.
As far as where this performance ranks out all time amongst regular season games, it’s second only to Craig Anderson’s 53-save shutout in 2008 against the Islanders while he was a backup goalie for the Florida Panthers.
Anze Kopitar had two goals for Los Angeles while Drew Doughty added three assists to give the Kings more than enough offense they’d need tonight. Detroit’s Jimmy Howard, meanwhile, was the anti-Quick stopping 21 out of 26 shots. The Wings just couldn’t find a way to solve Quick and it wasn’t for a lack of trying. A performance like this could be the spark the Kings need to vault themselves back atop the Pacific Division.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 4
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)