Dec 12, 2010, 9:31 PM EDT
We’re only in the third month of the 2010-11 season, yet we’ve seen a full campaign’s worth of unexpected fights. From Pavel Datsyuk expressing his distaste for the Anaheim Ducks with his fists to Sidney Crosby’s semi-comical scrap with Matt Niskanen and Mike Green getting into a skirmish, unlikely parties have become pugilists.
It’s now time to add Washington Capitals superstar Alex Ovechkin to that list.
Who knows if it was because of self defense or simply to rile up his bench (the Caps were down 4-0, now 7-0), but Ovechkin got into a short but spirited squabble with New York Rangers center Brandon Dubinsky. Dubinsky probably took exception to Ovechkin’s hip check on Daniel Girardi, which happened just a few moments before the two scorers decided to drop the gloves.
Ovechkin doesn’t throw knuckles very often, though. In fact, it’s been more than four years since his last fight; he last scrapped with Paul Gaustad on December 2, 2006. Hockey Fights.com fans voted Ovechkin the loser in both bouts, giving Dubinsky more than 70 percent of the votes in this one.
Check out the fight video in all of its “Capitals fans holding their breath that he doesn’t injure his hands” glory below.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 0
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 7
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 17
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 37
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 21
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)