Dec 12, 2010, 9:31 PM EDT
We’re only in the third month of the 2010-11 season, yet we’ve seen a full campaign’s worth of unexpected fights. From Pavel Datsyuk expressing his distaste for the Anaheim Ducks with his fists to Sidney Crosby’s semi-comical scrap with Matt Niskanen and Mike Green getting into a skirmish, unlikely parties have become pugilists.
It’s now time to add Washington Capitals superstar Alex Ovechkin to that list.
Who knows if it was because of self defense or simply to rile up his bench (the Caps were down 4-0, now 7-0), but Ovechkin got into a short but spirited squabble with New York Rangers center Brandon Dubinsky. Dubinsky probably took exception to Ovechkin’s hip check on Daniel Girardi, which happened just a few moments before the two scorers decided to drop the gloves.
Ovechkin doesn’t throw knuckles very often, though. In fact, it’s been more than four years since his last fight; he last scrapped with Paul Gaustad on December 2, 2006. Hockey Fights.com fans voted Ovechkin the loser in both bouts, giving Dubinsky more than 70 percent of the votes in this one.
Check out the fight video in all of its “Capitals fans holding their breath that he doesn’t injure his hands” glory below.
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 0
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 15
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 27
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)