Dec 12, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT
This is not just a recycled message from the past. Senators goalie Pascal Leclaire is hurt once again. Leclaire was injured during the Senators 3-2 win over the Devils on Friday night. He’s got the infamous and ambiguous lower body injury and for the Senators, like the Blue Jackets before them, this is familiar territory. Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun has the report and if there’s an upside here, it’s that Leclaire doesn’t appear to be hurt badly.
The Senators goaltender has a lower body injury he suffered in Friday’s 3-2 victory over the New Jersey Devils, but coach Cory Clouston said Leclaire should be OK to backup Monday against Atlanta.
If he can’t suit up, then it’s expected Robin Lehner will be called up from the club’s AHL affiliate in Binghamton. He isn’t scheduled to join Team Sweden for the world junior championships until later this week.
“We’re hoping he’s OK, but I’m not going to say yes because nobody knows,” said Clouston.
The Sens have been struggling of late and goaltending is just one of the issues. Goal scoring is another one and the Sens have other fires to put out there concerning Alexei Kovalev and him feeling singled out as what the problem is offensively.
If Leclaire is hurt for a substantial amount of time, the inconsistent Brian Elliott becomes the go-to starter while prospect Robin Lehner, who is supposed to play for Sweden in the World Junior Championships, becomes the backup option. Last season’s savior Mike Brodeur is still in Binghamton as well but none of these guys are the final answer for Ottawa. The team needs a spark to get things turned around and having their starting goalie dealing with nagging issues isn’t going to help.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)