Dec 12, 2010, 3:02 PM EST
While the Wheel of Justice didn’t spin for Alexander Semin today, Jody Shelley of the Flyers may not get off so lucky.
Yesterday, Shelley received a five-minute major and a game misconduct for checking from behind when he shoved Bruins defenseman Adam McQuaid from behind on an icing play. TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets that Shelley will have a disciplinary meeting with the NHL tomorrow about the hit. Expect a suspension of some sort to come out of this.
The league has cracked down on hits where icing was to be called in order to save players from injury. In this case, Shelley shoved McQuaid as he was reaching for the puck and with his balance thrown off like that sent him head and shoulder first into the end boards. You can see video of the hit here on YouTube.
Matt Kalman of The Bruins Blog points out that precedent and history is not on Shelley’s side in this situation pointing out that last season we saw Alexander Ovechkin was suspended for a similar hit on Brian Campbell as was Darcy Tucker for hitting Matt Greene. Tucker got one game for his hit and Ovechkin got two. Expect Shelley to see something similar, but with that fickle Wheel of Justice you just never know.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)