Dec 12, 2010, 3:02 PM EDT
While the Wheel of Justice didn’t spin for Alexander Semin today, Jody Shelley of the Flyers may not get off so lucky.
Yesterday, Shelley received a five-minute major and a game misconduct for checking from behind when he shoved Bruins defenseman Adam McQuaid from behind on an icing play. TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets that Shelley will have a disciplinary meeting with the NHL tomorrow about the hit. Expect a suspension of some sort to come out of this.
The league has cracked down on hits where icing was to be called in order to save players from injury. In this case, Shelley shoved McQuaid as he was reaching for the puck and with his balance thrown off like that sent him head and shoulder first into the end boards. You can see video of the hit here on YouTube.
Matt Kalman of The Bruins Blog points out that precedent and history is not on Shelley’s side in this situation pointing out that last season we saw Alexander Ovechkin was suspended for a similar hit on Brian Campbell as was Darcy Tucker for hitting Matt Greene. Tucker got one game for his hit and Ovechkin got two. Expect Shelley to see something similar, but with that fickle Wheel of Justice you just never know.
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 4
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 3
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 28
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 102
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 8
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 11
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36