Dec 12, 2010, 3:02 PM EST
While the Wheel of Justice didn’t spin for Alexander Semin today, Jody Shelley of the Flyers may not get off so lucky.
Yesterday, Shelley received a five-minute major and a game misconduct for checking from behind when he shoved Bruins defenseman Adam McQuaid from behind on an icing play. TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets that Shelley will have a disciplinary meeting with the NHL tomorrow about the hit. Expect a suspension of some sort to come out of this.
The league has cracked down on hits where icing was to be called in order to save players from injury. In this case, Shelley shoved McQuaid as he was reaching for the puck and with his balance thrown off like that sent him head and shoulder first into the end boards. You can see video of the hit here on YouTube.
Matt Kalman of The Bruins Blog points out that precedent and history is not on Shelley’s side in this situation pointing out that last season we saw Alexander Ovechkin was suspended for a similar hit on Brian Campbell as was Darcy Tucker for hitting Matt Greene. Tucker got one game for his hit and Ovechkin got two. Expect Shelley to see something similar, but with that fickle Wheel of Justice you just never know.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 24
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11