Dec 12, 2010, 3:02 PM EST
While the Wheel of Justice didn’t spin for Alexander Semin today, Jody Shelley of the Flyers may not get off so lucky.
Yesterday, Shelley received a five-minute major and a game misconduct for checking from behind when he shoved Bruins defenseman Adam McQuaid from behind on an icing play. TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets that Shelley will have a disciplinary meeting with the NHL tomorrow about the hit. Expect a suspension of some sort to come out of this.
The league has cracked down on hits where icing was to be called in order to save players from injury. In this case, Shelley shoved McQuaid as he was reaching for the puck and with his balance thrown off like that sent him head and shoulder first into the end boards. You can see video of the hit here on YouTube.
Matt Kalman of The Bruins Blog points out that precedent and history is not on Shelley’s side in this situation pointing out that last season we saw Alexander Ovechkin was suspended for a similar hit on Brian Campbell as was Darcy Tucker for hitting Matt Greene. Tucker got one game for his hit and Ovechkin got two. Expect Shelley to see something similar, but with that fickle Wheel of Justice you just never know.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 3
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 24
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 38
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (165)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)