Dec 12, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Sundays in the NHL are like taking a stroll through the park. It’s easy going, there isn’t too much to keep you busy, and you’re generally done by dinner time. Usually anyhow. This weekend is where things are a bit different. Today’s slate of games sees one major team looking to get off the shnide in a big way. All times are Eastern as usual.
Washington @ NY Rangers
The Capitals are looking to snap a five game losing streak and facing off against Henrik Lundqvist and the Rangers might not be the antidote they need. The Caps were stymied by Craig Anderson last night after he stopped 40 shots in a 3-2 Avs win. The Rangers were stuffed by Columbus last night because they couldn’t keep Rick Nash under control, allowing the Jackets star to score twice. In this one, Marian Gaborik and Alex Ovechkin could stand to show up in a big way for their respective teams. The Caps could use a win to help put their wild fans at ease.
Vancouver @ Edmonton
After getting their Markus Naslund number retirement party crashed by the Lightning last night, the Canucks head to Edmonton to get things figured out. Roberto Luongo will get back to action in goal for the Canucks, meanwhile Edmonton is riding high after their shootout win over Tampa Bay the other night. We said it before that game and we’re saying it again: As long as Linus Omark is in the NHL, the Oilers secretly make us hope for shootouts because guys like Omark and Jordan Eberle are creative enough to make the gimmick skills competition interesting for once.
Minnesota @ Anaheim
The Wild were gifted a win to them by the Kings last night but scoffing at a gift is never a good idea. Facing off against the always ornery Ducks should be enough of a dose of reality for the Wild to try to focus on improvements. The Ducks, meanwhile, would like to stop getting involved in handing out bonus points in the standings. Their previous three games all went to the shootout and fortunately for them they went 2-0-1 in those games. Anaheim would like to end this home stand on a high note as they’ll be out on a seven game road trip after tonight’s game, five of which come out east.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)