Dec 12, 2010, 12:57 PM EDT
Caps star forward Alexander Semin did a very bad thing last night in the Caps 3-2 loss to Colorado. In the second period of play, Semin cross checked Avalanche defenseman John-Michael Liles in the head. Semin appeared to be agitated with Liles’ light cross checks and responded in over-the-top fashion. You can see crude video of the hit here from YouTube. Semin was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct for the hit.
Today, we hear from TSN’s Bob McKenzie that Semin will be fined for the hit and will be available to play tonight against the New York Rangers. It’s a good thing for the Caps that Semin will be available because taking one of their big offensive guns out of the lineup would be a tough blow for a team that’s been struggling to score goals consistently of late, something that’s helped lead to their five game losing streak.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 25
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40