Dec 11, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
Another game and another tough loss for the Washington Capitals. The Caps losing streak now sits at five games after dropping a tough game against the visiting Colorado Avalanche 3-2. It’s not without trying tonight that the Caps lost. They kept Avalanche goalie Craig Anderson more than busy with 42 shots on goal but Anderson was equal to the task stopping 40 shots.
Colorado set the tone early in the first getting goals from Kevin Shattenkirk and Ryan Wilson. Mike Knuble’s goal in the first period sandwiched between Colorado goals kept the game close at 2-1, but Paul Stastny’s second period goal provided the game-deciding tally. Former Avalanche forward Matt Hendricks scored in the third to cut the lead to 3-2 but they’d get no closer. Michal Neuvirth stopped 23 in the loss.
For Washington, the frustration is building and the finger should be pointed towards the Capitals offense. In their five-game streak, they’ve scored just eight goals. Meanwhile, the goaltending has been average giving up 15 goals, good for three per game. With the Caps scoring the third most goals in the NHL, giving up three a game shouldn’t be too much to overcome but it’s still not great. For a team that’s going to contend for the Stanley Cup they need to do better.
It’s a long season, of course, but this kind of run does a lot to wear on one’s confidence and after a year that ended earlier than expected last season, fans are getting anxious.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)