Dec 11, 2010, 1:11 AM EST
For summaries of tonight’s first three games, click here.
Here are summaries of the three later games from Friday.
These two teams played a pretty evenly-matched game, but it seemed like the Stars were just a little bit better the entire time. Of course, it was far from easy for Dallas, as they needed to go to a shootout to beat Carolina.
Andrew Raycroft was strong in another relief game of injured goalie Kari Lehtonen, making an especially magnificent glove save to keep the Stars in the game during a hectic overtime session (both squads combined for 10 shots in the five minute overtime).
Ultimately, Raycroft and Brad Richards were too good in the shootout as the Stars eked out yet another home win in front of a meager crowd.
Nikolai Khabibulin stood on his head against the team he once helped win a Stanley Cup, stopping 38 pucks to help the Edmonton Oilers with for the fifth time in six games. Edmonton now sits at 27 points thanks to an impressive 7-2-1 run in their last 10.
Linus Omark made an impact in his NHL debut, scoring a dazzling shootout goal. The game’s two No. 1 overall picks game through in this one, as Steve Stamkos (2008) and Taylor Hall (2010) each scored a goal to help their teams earn at least one point.
If you want a theme for the night’s final three games, it would be charity points. The final trio of contests each went to the shootout, as the Ducks prevailed over the fledgling Flames in this one.
Jonas Hiller was almost as good for the Ducks as Khabibulin was for the Oilers, as the Swiss netminder stopped 37 Flames shots to get his team to a shootout. Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf scored for the Ducks in that skills competition while only free agent steal Alex Tanguay could manage a SO goal for the Flames. Jarome Iginla had a solid effort in the loss, assisting on both of Calgary’s goals.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)