Dec 11, 2010, 1:11 AM EDT
For summaries of tonight’s first three games, click here.
Here are summaries of the three later games from Friday.
These two teams played a pretty evenly-matched game, but it seemed like the Stars were just a little bit better the entire time. Of course, it was far from easy for Dallas, as they needed to go to a shootout to beat Carolina.
Andrew Raycroft was strong in another relief game of injured goalie Kari Lehtonen, making an especially magnificent glove save to keep the Stars in the game during a hectic overtime session (both squads combined for 10 shots in the five minute overtime).
Ultimately, Raycroft and Brad Richards were too good in the shootout as the Stars eked out yet another home win in front of a meager crowd.
Nikolai Khabibulin stood on his head against the team he once helped win a Stanley Cup, stopping 38 pucks to help the Edmonton Oilers with for the fifth time in six games. Edmonton now sits at 27 points thanks to an impressive 7-2-1 run in their last 10.
Linus Omark made an impact in his NHL debut, scoring a dazzling shootout goal. The game’s two No. 1 overall picks game through in this one, as Steve Stamkos (2008) and Taylor Hall (2010) each scored a goal to help their teams earn at least one point.
If you want a theme for the night’s final three games, it would be charity points. The final trio of contests each went to the shootout, as the Ducks prevailed over the fledgling Flames in this one.
Jonas Hiller was almost as good for the Ducks as Khabibulin was for the Oilers, as the Swiss netminder stopped 37 Flames shots to get his team to a shootout. Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf scored for the Ducks in that skills competition while only free agent steal Alex Tanguay could manage a SO goal for the Flames. Jarome Iginla had a solid effort in the loss, assisting on both of Calgary’s goals.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)