Dec 11, 2010, 12:52 PM EDT
It’s a good thing that the Pittsburgh Penguins are hoping to win their 12th consecutive game and Sidney Crosby is setting the hockey world on fire right now, because if they were struggling, one background story would be getting awfully old.
That storyline is the seemingly unending Jordan Staal injury situation.
It began back in last season’s playoffs, when he rushed back from foot surgery and ultimately endangered the first month of the 2010-11 season. Just when it seemed like Staal was ready to get back to the Penguins, he broke his hand in a random accident in practice.
Still, that was in early November and sound the broken record: Staal is reportedly facing another setback as rumors are circulating that he “re-broke” his hand.
The Pittsburgh Penguins won’t know for sure until Monday, but it looks as though Jordan Staal has suffered a setback in his return from a broken hand.
Internet reports cropped up on Thursday that Staal may have re-broken the bone in his hand but Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma denied that on Friday saying there was some “calcification” issues.
“Jordan continues to progress in the timeline we had before,” Bylsma told Pittsburgh’s Tribune Review on Friday. “He’ll keep rehabbing on his current course.”
Now, however, it’s apparently possible Staal has re-broken the bone in the hand, or suffered some type of setback, although definitive word on that and the prognosis/timeline won’t come down until Monday.
With that, we’ll keep you updated on the latest “prognosis/timeline” when news surfaces next week. At this point, it almost seems like the Penguins will be lucky to get a month to integrate Staal into their lineup before the playoffs begin …
- Kronwalled: Red Wings defenseman levels Lightning’s Kucherov 0
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 6
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 24
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 14
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 74
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)