Dec 11, 2010, 12:52 PM EDT
It’s a good thing that the Pittsburgh Penguins are hoping to win their 12th consecutive game and Sidney Crosby is setting the hockey world on fire right now, because if they were struggling, one background story would be getting awfully old.
That storyline is the seemingly unending Jordan Staal injury situation.
It began back in last season’s playoffs, when he rushed back from foot surgery and ultimately endangered the first month of the 2010-11 season. Just when it seemed like Staal was ready to get back to the Penguins, he broke his hand in a random accident in practice.
Still, that was in early November and sound the broken record: Staal is reportedly facing another setback as rumors are circulating that he “re-broke” his hand.
The Pittsburgh Penguins won’t know for sure until Monday, but it looks as though Jordan Staal has suffered a setback in his return from a broken hand.
Internet reports cropped up on Thursday that Staal may have re-broken the bone in his hand but Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma denied that on Friday saying there was some “calcification” issues.
“Jordan continues to progress in the timeline we had before,” Bylsma told Pittsburgh’s Tribune Review on Friday. “He’ll keep rehabbing on his current course.”
Now, however, it’s apparently possible Staal has re-broken the bone in the hand, or suffered some type of setback, although definitive word on that and the prognosis/timeline won’t come down until Monday.
With that, we’ll keep you updated on the latest “prognosis/timeline” when news surfaces next week. At this point, it almost seems like the Penguins will be lucky to get a month to integrate Staal into their lineup before the playoffs begin …
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)