Dec 11, 2010, 12:52 PM EDT
It’s a good thing that the Pittsburgh Penguins are hoping to win their 12th consecutive game and Sidney Crosby is setting the hockey world on fire right now, because if they were struggling, one background story would be getting awfully old.
That storyline is the seemingly unending Jordan Staal injury situation.
It began back in last season’s playoffs, when he rushed back from foot surgery and ultimately endangered the first month of the 2010-11 season. Just when it seemed like Staal was ready to get back to the Penguins, he broke his hand in a random accident in practice.
Still, that was in early November and sound the broken record: Staal is reportedly facing another setback as rumors are circulating that he “re-broke” his hand.
The Pittsburgh Penguins won’t know for sure until Monday, but it looks as though Jordan Staal has suffered a setback in his return from a broken hand.
Internet reports cropped up on Thursday that Staal may have re-broken the bone in his hand but Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma denied that on Friday saying there was some “calcification” issues.
“Jordan continues to progress in the timeline we had before,” Bylsma told Pittsburgh’s Tribune Review on Friday. “He’ll keep rehabbing on his current course.”
Now, however, it’s apparently possible Staal has re-broken the bone in the hand, or suffered some type of setback, although definitive word on that and the prognosis/timeline won’t come down until Monday.
With that, we’ll keep you updated on the latest “prognosis/timeline” when news surfaces next week. At this point, it almost seems like the Penguins will be lucky to get a month to integrate Staal into their lineup before the playoffs begin …
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 2
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)