Dec 11, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
While we’re gearing up for the 2011 Winter Classic between the Penguins and Capitals, NCAA hockey had their own outdoor game going on today. In a truly ridiculous show of support, the University of Michigan and Michigan State University squared off outdoors at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor.
If you’re not familiar with “The Big House” it’s a stadium that seats over 100,00 fans. Today’s game set a new hockey attendance record with 113,411 fans and smashed the record set during the 2010 World Championships that saw 77,803 fans turn out for host Germany’s game against the United States. The crowd is also the largest ever at Michigan Stadium. In making sure the home fans got to go home happy, the Wolverines took out the Spartans in shutout fashion winning 5-0.
Team USA World Junior Championships candidate, and New Jersey Devils draft pick, Jon Merrill scored twice as did New York Rangers prospect Carl Hagelin. Wolverines goalie Shawn Hunwick, brother of Avalanche defenseman Matt Hunwick, made 34 saves to get the shutout.
These two schools have done an outdoor game before, facing off in the “Cold War” in 2001, a game that saw 75,000 fans turn out in East Lansing, Michigan . That game featured current Habs star Mike Cammalleri playing injured for the Michigan Wolverines and winning the game MVP award.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)