Dec 11, 2010, 7:27 PM EST
We’ve followed this story closely and even had some chatter earlier today, but Marco Sturm is finally on his way to the Los Angeles Kings. The Boston Bruins have sent the seven-time 20-goal scoring German winger to the Kings for future considerations. If you’re thinking that this is a light return on a guy who’s been a dependable goal scorer over his career, you’re right. This trade is strictly a salary cap clearing move for the Bruins.
If you’re wonder what future considerations can mean, ESPN Boston’s Jimmy Murphy tweets that Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli says that it’s basically “nothing.” The Kings are essentially doing the Bruins a big favor and getting some added offensive punch for their own team.
Sturm’s salary cap hit is $3.5 million this season and with how close the Bruins are to the cap right now, with Sturm ready to return from long term injured reserve, his cap hit, if the Bruins kept him, would mean the Bruins would have to either waive or trade another player(s) to get him in the lineup. The deal is pending a physical for Sturm as he’s recovering from knee surgery and it’s believed he’s about a week away from playing. With the NHL’s holiday roster freeze coming up on the 19th, waiting until he was completely cleared would’ve cut things close and the Bruins and Kings were motivated to act.
Sturm can jump in and help the Kings out by giving either Anze Kopitar or Jarret Stoll a skilled left winger that can finish. With Ryan Smyth being their top guy and Alexei Ponikarovsky slotted in solidly on the third line, there was an offensive vacancy that needed to be filled. Sturm will help out immediately once he’s ready to go.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 13
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 6
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 13
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 16
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 8
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35