Dec 10, 2010, 10:28 PM EST
Three of tonight’s six games have already come to an end, so let’s take an early ride on the recap Zamboni.
After losing two straight games at home, you had to think that the Red Wings would bring a focused (and angry) effort into this one against the Canadiens. They did just that, as Detroit answered an early Travis Moen score by rattling off three unanswered goals (Nicklas Lidstrom, Niklas Kronwall and Pavel Datsyuk) to take a 3-1 lead into the third period. Benoit Pouliot made it interesting with a goal in the final frame, but a Patrick Eaves empty-netter sealed the deal for the Red Wings.
Both goalies were solid-to-great in this one, with Jimmy Howard stopping 36 out of 38 while Carey Price made 28 out of 31 saves. Howard (15 wins) now only trails Price (16) by one win for the league lead.
It’s still kind of difficult to believe it, but the Devils have become the team that you just need to win or you’ll feel like you left crucial standings points on the board. It’s even that much harder to believe that the same holds true when they start Martin Brodeur, as the future Hall of Fame goalie is now 4-11-1 this season after allowing three goals on 29 shots in this one.
The Devils scored both of their goals against Pascal Leclaire on the power play, but the Senators beat them 3-0 at even strength to improve their home record to .500 (8-8-1).
It’s been a tough tour through the Southeast Division for the Avalanche lately, as they previous lost to Atlanta at home and Carolina, Tampa Bay and Florida on the road in an unfamiliar road trip. They finally beat some unfamiliar foes tonight, as they took down the Thrashers in Atlanta 4-2.
This Avalanche win ended a five-game road losing streak for Colorado as well as a six-game home winning streak for Atlanta. Craig Anderson was able to nurse a 3-2 lead against fellow previously banged up goalie Ondrej Pavelec before Paul Stastny put it out of reach with an empty net goal.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 9
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 32
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 25
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)