Dec 10, 2010, 10:28 PM EDT
Three of tonight’s six games have already come to an end, so let’s take an early ride on the recap Zamboni.
After losing two straight games at home, you had to think that the Red Wings would bring a focused (and angry) effort into this one against the Canadiens. They did just that, as Detroit answered an early Travis Moen score by rattling off three unanswered goals (Nicklas Lidstrom, Niklas Kronwall and Pavel Datsyuk) to take a 3-1 lead into the third period. Benoit Pouliot made it interesting with a goal in the final frame, but a Patrick Eaves empty-netter sealed the deal for the Red Wings.
Both goalies were solid-to-great in this one, with Jimmy Howard stopping 36 out of 38 while Carey Price made 28 out of 31 saves. Howard (15 wins) now only trails Price (16) by one win for the league lead.
It’s still kind of difficult to believe it, but the Devils have become the team that you just need to win or you’ll feel like you left crucial standings points on the board. It’s even that much harder to believe that the same holds true when they start Martin Brodeur, as the future Hall of Fame goalie is now 4-11-1 this season after allowing three goals on 29 shots in this one.
The Devils scored both of their goals against Pascal Leclaire on the power play, but the Senators beat them 3-0 at even strength to improve their home record to .500 (8-8-1).
It’s been a tough tour through the Southeast Division for the Avalanche lately, as they previous lost to Atlanta at home and Carolina, Tampa Bay and Florida on the road in an unfamiliar road trip. They finally beat some unfamiliar foes tonight, as they took down the Thrashers in Atlanta 4-2.
This Avalanche win ended a five-game road losing streak for Colorado as well as a six-game home winning streak for Atlanta. Craig Anderson was able to nurse a 3-2 lead against fellow previously banged up goalie Ondrej Pavelec before Paul Stastny put it out of reach with an empty net goal.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (59)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)