Dec 10, 2010, 6:32 PM EDT
Nikita Filatov’s attempt at breaking out in the NHL this season with the Blue Jackets isn’t going very well. The 20 year-old Filatov has had his ups and downs (mostly downs) with the Jackets this season and now he’s headed down to the AHL to join the Springfield Falcons. Filatov has zero goals, seven assists, and a +3 rating over 23 games this season all while averaging just over 12 minutes per game in ice time. Tom Sestito is being called up to take his place.
Filatov was the Blue Jackets #1 draft pick in the 2008 draft (sixth overall) and while he’s a quick skater with slick offensive skills, he’s had a hard time since the Jackets have brought him into the fold. Last season after being demoted to the AHL, Filatov was loaned to the KHL to work on his game and be more comfortable than he would’ve been in the AHL.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch reports that Filatov’s agent, Don Meehan, says Filatov will report to the AHL. Filatov’s struggles adapting to the NHL are becoming more pronounced. While Ken Hitchcock was the head coach in Columbus, many believed that his strict defensive-minded game was holding Filatov’s natural offensive ability. Now with Scott Arniel in charge, he’s been about as patient with the young Russian but still he struggles.
It’s not time to start calling Filatov an official bust, but it’s clear there’s something amiss there. This could very well be a situation where he needs a change of scenery to flourish but don’t expect the Jackets to give up on him before seeing all they need to see.
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 0
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 50
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)