Dec 10, 2010, 11:00 PM EST
From the “maybe being a professional hockey player wouldn’t be that great after all files”: the Anaheim Ducks placed tough guy Aaron Voros on the injured reserve today because of a broken orbital bone suffered during a fight Wednesday against Vancouver Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa.
The team recalled Dan Sexton from the AHL to take his spot in the lineup. Sexton is a forward who is more known for his offense than the pugilist Voros. (He’s also known for a wide variety of above average “sexy” pun nicknames based on his last name.)
As you can see from the video (via Hockey Fights.com), it was a pretty quick and evenly-matched fight … until Bieksa started landing some fierce right hands. Those won him the fight and put Voros on the shelf with that scary eye socket injury.
Voros also received a game misconduct during that altercation, but it looks like he’ll miss more than the rest of Wednesday’s contest for that fight.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 61
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)