Dec 8, 2010, 7:33 PM EDT
Dallas Stars fans might cringe when people bring up the injury history of their workhorse goalie Kari Lehtonen, but the fact of the matter is that the former Atlanta Thrashers netminder’s history is riddled with lengthy stints on the shelf. Honestly, whenever the Stars decided to give him a bunch of starts in a row (like nine games to begin the season, for instance), I couldn’t help but wonder if the team was playing with fire.
Now, it’s not time to panic yet, but Lehtonen is being held out of tonight’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks because of “tightness in his lower body” according to Mark Stepneski.
Who knows what exactly “tightness in his lower body” means, although if I had to make a wild guess I would say that sounds a bit like a groin injury. He’s had a wide range of injuries, including one groin injury that kept him out of 16 games in 2007-08.
Stepneski reports that the team called up Richard Bachman from the Texas Stars (their AHL affiliate) to back up Andrew Raycroft, who will start against the Blackhawks. Raycroft has been excellent in relief of Lehtonen so far this season, sporting a 3-1 record with a 95.1 save percentage and 1.65 GAA.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)