Dec 8, 2010, 7:33 PM EST
Dallas Stars fans might cringe when people bring up the injury history of their workhorse goalie Kari Lehtonen, but the fact of the matter is that the former Atlanta Thrashers netminder’s history is riddled with lengthy stints on the shelf. Honestly, whenever the Stars decided to give him a bunch of starts in a row (like nine games to begin the season, for instance), I couldn’t help but wonder if the team was playing with fire.
Now, it’s not time to panic yet, but Lehtonen is being held out of tonight’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks because of “tightness in his lower body” according to Mark Stepneski.
Who knows what exactly “tightness in his lower body” means, although if I had to make a wild guess I would say that sounds a bit like a groin injury. He’s had a wide range of injuries, including one groin injury that kept him out of 16 games in 2007-08.
Stepneski reports that the team called up Richard Bachman from the Texas Stars (their AHL affiliate) to back up Andrew Raycroft, who will start against the Blackhawks. Raycroft has been excellent in relief of Lehtonen so far this season, sporting a 3-1 record with a 95.1 save percentage and 1.65 GAA.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)