Dec 8, 2010, 7:33 PM EDT
Dallas Stars fans might cringe when people bring up the injury history of their workhorse goalie Kari Lehtonen, but the fact of the matter is that the former Atlanta Thrashers netminder’s history is riddled with lengthy stints on the shelf. Honestly, whenever the Stars decided to give him a bunch of starts in a row (like nine games to begin the season, for instance), I couldn’t help but wonder if the team was playing with fire.
Now, it’s not time to panic yet, but Lehtonen is being held out of tonight’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks because of “tightness in his lower body” according to Mark Stepneski.
Who knows what exactly “tightness in his lower body” means, although if I had to make a wild guess I would say that sounds a bit like a groin injury. He’s had a wide range of injuries, including one groin injury that kept him out of 16 games in 2007-08.
Stepneski reports that the team called up Richard Bachman from the Texas Stars (their AHL affiliate) to back up Andrew Raycroft, who will start against the Blackhawks. Raycroft has been excellent in relief of Lehtonen so far this season, sporting a 3-1 record with a 95.1 save percentage and 1.65 GAA.
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 1
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 5
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 16
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 32
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)