Dec 8, 2010, 10:23 PM EDT
At some point we’ll just have to create a template for these Sidney Crosby/Pittsburgh Penguins games: just add one to the Penguins’ winning streak, insert however many goals Crosby scores and then mention the other team if necessary.
If you want the latest numbers, here they are: the Penguins won their 11th consecutive game, Crosby extended his points scoring streak to 17 (20 goals and 15 assists for 35 points) and Marc-Andre Fleury earned his 10th victory in a row as the Penguins cruised against the Toronto Maple Leafs tonight.
This time around, Crosby scored twice to bring his league-leading total to 26. Chris Kunitz might have actually been the biggest star of the game, though, as he provided the assists on both Crosby goals and also set up a shorthanded goal by Pascal Dupuis.
You can slice up Crosby’s run in a ton of different ways (here are a bunch of different numbers on that subject), but here is one other interesting stat: he has four multiple goal games in his last six games. Craziness.
Neither the Penguins nor Crosby are on their all-time greatest streaks yet, but they’re getting close. Pittsburgh’s longest winning streak is 17 games (in 1993) while Crosby’s longest point streak is 19.
The Maple Leafs had a modest two game winning streak going into this one, but were no match for the locomotive that is this Penguins team. Pittsburgh stormed out of the gate to begin this one, taking a 4-0 lead while out-shooting Toronto 24-10 in the first two periods.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)