Dec 8, 2010, 10:23 PM EDT
At some point we’ll just have to create a template for these Sidney Crosby/Pittsburgh Penguins games: just add one to the Penguins’ winning streak, insert however many goals Crosby scores and then mention the other team if necessary.
If you want the latest numbers, here they are: the Penguins won their 11th consecutive game, Crosby extended his points scoring streak to 17 (20 goals and 15 assists for 35 points) and Marc-Andre Fleury earned his 10th victory in a row as the Penguins cruised against the Toronto Maple Leafs tonight.
This time around, Crosby scored twice to bring his league-leading total to 26. Chris Kunitz might have actually been the biggest star of the game, though, as he provided the assists on both Crosby goals and also set up a shorthanded goal by Pascal Dupuis.
You can slice up Crosby’s run in a ton of different ways (here are a bunch of different numbers on that subject), but here is one other interesting stat: he has four multiple goal games in his last six games. Craziness.
Neither the Penguins nor Crosby are on their all-time greatest streaks yet, but they’re getting close. Pittsburgh’s longest winning streak is 17 games (in 1993) while Crosby’s longest point streak is 19.
The Maple Leafs had a modest two game winning streak going into this one, but were no match for the locomotive that is this Penguins team. Pittsburgh stormed out of the gate to begin this one, taking a 4-0 lead while out-shooting Toronto 24-10 in the first two periods.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 11
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 40
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 26
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel