Dec 8, 2010, 10:23 PM EDT
At some point we’ll just have to create a template for these Sidney Crosby/Pittsburgh Penguins games: just add one to the Penguins’ winning streak, insert however many goals Crosby scores and then mention the other team if necessary.
If you want the latest numbers, here they are: the Penguins won their 11th consecutive game, Crosby extended his points scoring streak to 17 (20 goals and 15 assists for 35 points) and Marc-Andre Fleury earned his 10th victory in a row as the Penguins cruised against the Toronto Maple Leafs tonight.
This time around, Crosby scored twice to bring his league-leading total to 26. Chris Kunitz might have actually been the biggest star of the game, though, as he provided the assists on both Crosby goals and also set up a shorthanded goal by Pascal Dupuis.
You can slice up Crosby’s run in a ton of different ways (here are a bunch of different numbers on that subject), but here is one other interesting stat: he has four multiple goal games in his last six games. Craziness.
Neither the Penguins nor Crosby are on their all-time greatest streaks yet, but they’re getting close. Pittsburgh’s longest winning streak is 17 games (in 1993) while Crosby’s longest point streak is 19.
The Maple Leafs had a modest two game winning streak going into this one, but were no match for the locomotive that is this Penguins team. Pittsburgh stormed out of the gate to begin this one, taking a 4-0 lead while out-shooting Toronto 24-10 in the first two periods.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 1
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)