Dec 8, 2010, 5:05 PM EST
Ever since the Bruins traded Matt Hunwick to Colorado they’ve been rolling with six defensemen and hoping to avoid any injuries while playing things tight against the salary cap. Last night, the inevitable happened as Mark Stuart broke his hand in the first period against Buffalo.
For the Bruins, losing Stuart means losing a physical presence in front of the net to deal with pesky, goal-hanging forwards. As for how long he’ll be out, Kevin Paul Dupont of The Boston Globe says he’ll miss anywhere from 4-8 weeks. In the meantime, the Bruins called up young defenseman Steve Kampfer up from Providence on an emergency basis. Dupont also tweets that the Bruins may get involved in the trade market with Stuart set to miss up to two months and mentions Dallas and Phoenix in particular.
The Bruins were already being tested by going with six defensemen they felt they could count on. Moving a youngster like Kampfer (or anyone else they might bring up from the AHL) makes things a bit more intriguing and dicey on the Boston blue line. With the NHL holiday trading freeze coming up on December 19th, if the Bruins are going to make a move, they should be looking to do it sooner rather than later.
Update: Bruins make an official statement on the injury and GM Peter Chiarelli says Stuart is out 4-6 weeks with a broken 4th metacarpal on his right hand and a dislocated ring finger. Ouch.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (124)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)