Dec 7, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
For some reason, professional athlete retirement press conferences rarely break the mold yet they’re almost always fascinating (and occasionally, if you care about that given player, they might even make it a little dusty in whatever room you’re inhabiting).
Bill Guerin’s emotional speech falls under that category, as he loses it while discussing the sacrifices made by his family during an 18-year career with eight different NHL teams. Even if his family wasn’t uprooted during every location change (particularly brief trade deadline deals), that’s still a lot of moving to adjust to.
(The best moment of the video might come at the end, as the camera caught his daughters looking a bit stunned.)
Guerin had a prolific NHL career. He won two Stanley Cups many years apart, as one came with New Jersey in 1994-95 and one with Pittsburgh in 2008-09. In 1,263 regular season games, Guerin scored 429 goals and 427 assists for 856 points. Guerin played in 140 playoff games with 39 goals and 35 assists for 74 points. Those aren’t Hall of Fame numbers, but he put together an outstanding 18-year career in the NHL and it’s quite possible we might see the interesting ex-forward on TV shows for years to come if he chooses.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)