Dec 7, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
For some reason, professional athlete retirement press conferences rarely break the mold yet they’re almost always fascinating (and occasionally, if you care about that given player, they might even make it a little dusty in whatever room you’re inhabiting).
Bill Guerin’s emotional speech falls under that category, as he loses it while discussing the sacrifices made by his family during an 18-year career with eight different NHL teams. Even if his family wasn’t uprooted during every location change (particularly brief trade deadline deals), that’s still a lot of moving to adjust to.
(The best moment of the video might come at the end, as the camera caught his daughters looking a bit stunned.)
Guerin had a prolific NHL career. He won two Stanley Cups many years apart, as one came with New Jersey in 1994-95 and one with Pittsburgh in 2008-09. In 1,263 regular season games, Guerin scored 429 goals and 427 assists for 856 points. Guerin played in 140 playoff games with 39 goals and 35 assists for 74 points. Those aren’t Hall of Fame numbers, but he put together an outstanding 18-year career in the NHL and it’s quite possible we might see the interesting ex-forward on TV shows for years to come if he chooses.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)