Dec 7, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
For some reason, professional athlete retirement press conferences rarely break the mold yet they’re almost always fascinating (and occasionally, if you care about that given player, they might even make it a little dusty in whatever room you’re inhabiting).
Bill Guerin’s emotional speech falls under that category, as he loses it while discussing the sacrifices made by his family during an 18-year career with eight different NHL teams. Even if his family wasn’t uprooted during every location change (particularly brief trade deadline deals), that’s still a lot of moving to adjust to.
(The best moment of the video might come at the end, as the camera caught his daughters looking a bit stunned.)
Guerin had a prolific NHL career. He won two Stanley Cups many years apart, as one came with New Jersey in 1994-95 and one with Pittsburgh in 2008-09. In 1,263 regular season games, Guerin scored 429 goals and 427 assists for 856 points. Guerin played in 140 playoff games with 39 goals and 35 assists for 74 points. Those aren’t Hall of Fame numbers, but he put together an outstanding 18-year career in the NHL and it’s quite possible we might see the interesting ex-forward on TV shows for years to come if he chooses.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 7
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (26)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)