Dec 7, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
For some reason, professional athlete retirement press conferences rarely break the mold yet they’re almost always fascinating (and occasionally, if you care about that given player, they might even make it a little dusty in whatever room you’re inhabiting).
Bill Guerin’s emotional speech falls under that category, as he loses it while discussing the sacrifices made by his family during an 18-year career with eight different NHL teams. Even if his family wasn’t uprooted during every location change (particularly brief trade deadline deals), that’s still a lot of moving to adjust to.
(The best moment of the video might come at the end, as the camera caught his daughters looking a bit stunned.)
Guerin had a prolific NHL career. He won two Stanley Cups many years apart, as one came with New Jersey in 1994-95 and one with Pittsburgh in 2008-09. In 1,263 regular season games, Guerin scored 429 goals and 427 assists for 856 points. Guerin played in 140 playoff games with 39 goals and 35 assists for 74 points. Those aren’t Hall of Fame numbers, but he put together an outstanding 18-year career in the NHL and it’s quite possible we might see the interesting ex-forward on TV shows for years to come if he chooses.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)