Dec 7, 2010, 7:00 AM EDT
Tough news for the Vancouver Canucks: winger Mikael Samuelsson is expected to miss at least one week with a “mild concussion” according to coach Alain Vigneault. The Canucks believe that 33-year-old Swedish forward suffered the concussion after colliding with St. Louis Blues center Vladimir Sobotka during the Canucks’ 3-2 loss on Sunday.
Vigneault said the team will follow concussion protocol, which requires Samuelsson to be symptom-free for one week before he can play again. This means he will miss at least three games.
Samuelsson seemed to gain new life by getting a more prominent role upon arriving in Vancouver after years spent as a forward with the Detroit Red Wings, putting together career highs of 30 goals and 53 points last season. He has regressed a bit this season, although he’s still contributing sporadically with six goals and 11 assists for 17 points in 25 games.
We’ll keep you updated about his status, because as you may know, concussions can be tricky business.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 41
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 4
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 28
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 14
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination