Dec 7, 2010, 7:00 AM EDT
Tough news for the Vancouver Canucks: winger Mikael Samuelsson is expected to miss at least one week with a “mild concussion” according to coach Alain Vigneault. The Canucks believe that 33-year-old Swedish forward suffered the concussion after colliding with St. Louis Blues center Vladimir Sobotka during the Canucks’ 3-2 loss on Sunday.
Vigneault said the team will follow concussion protocol, which requires Samuelsson to be symptom-free for one week before he can play again. This means he will miss at least three games.
Samuelsson seemed to gain new life by getting a more prominent role upon arriving in Vancouver after years spent as a forward with the Detroit Red Wings, putting together career highs of 30 goals and 53 points last season. He has regressed a bit this season, although he’s still contributing sporadically with six goals and 11 assists for 17 points in 25 games.
We’ll keep you updated about his status, because as you may know, concussions can be tricky business.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)