Dec 7, 2010, 7:00 AM EST
Tough news for the Vancouver Canucks: winger Mikael Samuelsson is expected to miss at least one week with a “mild concussion” according to coach Alain Vigneault. The Canucks believe that 33-year-old Swedish forward suffered the concussion after colliding with St. Louis Blues center Vladimir Sobotka during the Canucks’ 3-2 loss on Sunday.
Vigneault said the team will follow concussion protocol, which requires Samuelsson to be symptom-free for one week before he can play again. This means he will miss at least three games.
Samuelsson seemed to gain new life by getting a more prominent role upon arriving in Vancouver after years spent as a forward with the Detroit Red Wings, putting together career highs of 30 goals and 53 points last season. He has regressed a bit this season, although he’s still contributing sporadically with six goals and 11 assists for 17 points in 25 games.
We’ll keep you updated about his status, because as you may know, concussions can be tricky business.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)