Dec 7, 2010, 11:55 AM EDT
USA Hockey named its 29-man preliminary roster for the 2011 World Junior Championships today and from the looks of things, it’s hard to argue with the prevailing wisdom that the team has a great chance to contend for a second gold medal in a row.
The roster includes eight players from that gold medal winning team, highlighted by Dallas Stars prospect goalie Jack Campbell and Toronto Maple Leafs free agent pickup Jerry D’Amigo. (Other returning players include John Ramage, Ryan Bourque, Chris Kreider, Jeremy Morin, Kyle Palmieri and Jason Zucker.)
Another interesting fact about this roster is the fact that it is well-stocked with players from “non-traditional” U.S. markets. Cassie McClellan points out that there are four players from California, one from Nevada, one from Arizona and one from Texas.
It’s a roster that boasts the experience of those eight players and a slew of first round NHL prospects. If you didn’t get the chance to watch that fantastic tournament last year on NHL Network, I strongly recommend checking the games out in 2011. It’s possibly the closest thing hockey has to March Madness right now.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)