Dec 7, 2010, 11:55 AM EDT
USA Hockey named its 29-man preliminary roster for the 2011 World Junior Championships today and from the looks of things, it’s hard to argue with the prevailing wisdom that the team has a great chance to contend for a second gold medal in a row.
The roster includes eight players from that gold medal winning team, highlighted by Dallas Stars prospect goalie Jack Campbell and Toronto Maple Leafs free agent pickup Jerry D’Amigo. (Other returning players include John Ramage, Ryan Bourque, Chris Kreider, Jeremy Morin, Kyle Palmieri and Jason Zucker.)
Another interesting fact about this roster is the fact that it is well-stocked with players from “non-traditional” U.S. markets. Cassie McClellan points out that there are four players from California, one from Nevada, one from Arizona and one from Texas.
It’s a roster that boasts the experience of those eight players and a slew of first round NHL prospects. If you didn’t get the chance to watch that fantastic tournament last year on NHL Network, I strongly recommend checking the games out in 2011. It’s possibly the closest thing hockey has to March Madness right now.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 98
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (99)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)