Dec 7, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
(There’s still time to vote for the goal of the week. Click here to do just that.)
When people talk about a save being the best of the year, one must assume that it will at least be the best of that given week … unless, of course, there is more than one stop worthy of such acclaim in the same seven day period.
There were some really sweet goals from November 29 to December 5, but much like his full season of work, Tim Thomas stood head and shoulders above the pack with his astounding glove save against the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Boston Bruins might have lost that game, but Thomas kept them in it with some fantastic goaltending.
Then again, the Bruins must expect greatness from their unorthodox goalie at this point. He sports a 13-2-2 record with a mind blowing 95.6 save percentage and 1.46 goals against average. Those numbers are almost certainly unsustainable over the rest of the season, but it’s hard to believe he could pull that off in this many games. He very well could top his Vezina season from 2008-09, which is saying a lot.
He certainly is putting together a formidable highlight reel, though. Here are the poll results.
To little surprise, Thomas won in a landslide victory. I really liked Ondrej Pavelec’s second save, but Thomas provided the week’s best. Check out video of the save below.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)