Dec 7, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
(There’s still time to vote for the goal of the week. Click here to do just that.)
When people talk about a save being the best of the year, one must assume that it will at least be the best of that given week … unless, of course, there is more than one stop worthy of such acclaim in the same seven day period.
There were some really sweet goals from November 29 to December 5, but much like his full season of work, Tim Thomas stood head and shoulders above the pack with his astounding glove save against the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Boston Bruins might have lost that game, but Thomas kept them in it with some fantastic goaltending.
Then again, the Bruins must expect greatness from their unorthodox goalie at this point. He sports a 13-2-2 record with a mind blowing 95.6 save percentage and 1.46 goals against average. Those numbers are almost certainly unsustainable over the rest of the season, but it’s hard to believe he could pull that off in this many games. He very well could top his Vezina season from 2008-09, which is saying a lot.
He certainly is putting together a formidable highlight reel, though. Here are the poll results.
To little surprise, Thomas won in a landslide victory. I really liked Ondrej Pavelec’s second save, but Thomas provided the week’s best. Check out video of the save below.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)