Dec 7, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
(There’s still time to vote for the goal of the week. Click here to do just that.)
When people talk about a save being the best of the year, one must assume that it will at least be the best of that given week … unless, of course, there is more than one stop worthy of such acclaim in the same seven day period.
There were some really sweet goals from November 29 to December 5, but much like his full season of work, Tim Thomas stood head and shoulders above the pack with his astounding glove save against the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Boston Bruins might have lost that game, but Thomas kept them in it with some fantastic goaltending.
Then again, the Bruins must expect greatness from their unorthodox goalie at this point. He sports a 13-2-2 record with a mind blowing 95.6 save percentage and 1.46 goals against average. Those numbers are almost certainly unsustainable over the rest of the season, but it’s hard to believe he could pull that off in this many games. He very well could top his Vezina season from 2008-09, which is saying a lot.
He certainly is putting together a formidable highlight reel, though. Here are the poll results.
To little surprise, Thomas won in a landslide victory. I really liked Ondrej Pavelec’s second save, but Thomas provided the week’s best. Check out video of the save below.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)