Dec 7, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
(There’s still time to vote for the goal of the week. Click here to do just that.)
When people talk about a save being the best of the year, one must assume that it will at least be the best of that given week … unless, of course, there is more than one stop worthy of such acclaim in the same seven day period.
There were some really sweet goals from November 29 to December 5, but much like his full season of work, Tim Thomas stood head and shoulders above the pack with his astounding glove save against the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Boston Bruins might have lost that game, but Thomas kept them in it with some fantastic goaltending.
Then again, the Bruins must expect greatness from their unorthodox goalie at this point. He sports a 13-2-2 record with a mind blowing 95.6 save percentage and 1.46 goals against average. Those numbers are almost certainly unsustainable over the rest of the season, but it’s hard to believe he could pull that off in this many games. He very well could top his Vezina season from 2008-09, which is saying a lot.
He certainly is putting together a formidable highlight reel, though. Here are the poll results.
To little surprise, Thomas won in a landslide victory. I really liked Ondrej Pavelec’s second save, but Thomas provided the week’s best. Check out video of the save below.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (100)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)