Dec 7, 2010, 3:19 PM EST
Earlier today, we passed along unofficial reports that Patrick Kane’s left leg injury would keep him out “weeks, not days.”
It sounds like that report was accurate, as Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville announced today that Kane is expected to be out “upwards of three weeks” and hopes that such an estimate covers the maximum amount of time the winger will miss.
While there’s never a good time to lose a player at the level of Kane, this is an especially bad time for that to happen. Marian Hossa is nursing his own injury and won’t even begin skating again until the end of this week (at the earliest, according to NHL.com).
Here are Quenneville’s comments on Kane’s situation. Click here for video of the injury.
Kane was injured just 23 seconds into Sunday’s 4-2 home win against Calgary, and is expected to be out “upwards of three weeks,” according to Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville, who met with reporters after Tuesday’s practice at the United Center.
“We’re hoping that’s the maximum,” said Quenneville, who declined to specify what part of Kane’s lower body was hurt. “We’re going to leave it as a ‘lower body,’ and you can speculate on where it is, but certainly that’s the extent of it and he’s progressing right now.”
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 1
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)