Dec 7, 2010, 3:19 PM EDT
Earlier today, we passed along unofficial reports that Patrick Kane’s left leg injury would keep him out “weeks, not days.”
It sounds like that report was accurate, as Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville announced today that Kane is expected to be out “upwards of three weeks” and hopes that such an estimate covers the maximum amount of time the winger will miss.
While there’s never a good time to lose a player at the level of Kane, this is an especially bad time for that to happen. Marian Hossa is nursing his own injury and won’t even begin skating again until the end of this week (at the earliest, according to NHL.com).
Here are Quenneville’s comments on Kane’s situation. Click here for video of the injury.
Kane was injured just 23 seconds into Sunday’s 4-2 home win against Calgary, and is expected to be out “upwards of three weeks,” according to Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville, who met with reporters after Tuesday’s practice at the United Center.
“We’re hoping that’s the maximum,” said Quenneville, who declined to specify what part of Kane’s lower body was hurt. “We’re going to leave it as a ‘lower body,’ and you can speculate on where it is, but certainly that’s the extent of it and he’s progressing right now.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)