Dec 7, 2010, 3:19 PM EDT
Earlier today, we passed along unofficial reports that Patrick Kane’s left leg injury would keep him out “weeks, not days.”
It sounds like that report was accurate, as Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville announced today that Kane is expected to be out “upwards of three weeks” and hopes that such an estimate covers the maximum amount of time the winger will miss.
While there’s never a good time to lose a player at the level of Kane, this is an especially bad time for that to happen. Marian Hossa is nursing his own injury and won’t even begin skating again until the end of this week (at the earliest, according to NHL.com).
Here are Quenneville’s comments on Kane’s situation. Click here for video of the injury.
Kane was injured just 23 seconds into Sunday’s 4-2 home win against Calgary, and is expected to be out “upwards of three weeks,” according to Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville, who met with reporters after Tuesday’s practice at the United Center.
“We’re hoping that’s the maximum,” said Quenneville, who declined to specify what part of Kane’s lower body was hurt. “We’re going to leave it as a ‘lower body,’ and you can speculate on where it is, but certainly that’s the extent of it and he’s progressing right now.”
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 59
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal