Dec 7, 2010, 3:19 PM EST
Earlier today, we passed along unofficial reports that Patrick Kane’s left leg injury would keep him out “weeks, not days.”
It sounds like that report was accurate, as Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville announced today that Kane is expected to be out “upwards of three weeks” and hopes that such an estimate covers the maximum amount of time the winger will miss.
While there’s never a good time to lose a player at the level of Kane, this is an especially bad time for that to happen. Marian Hossa is nursing his own injury and won’t even begin skating again until the end of this week (at the earliest, according to NHL.com).
Here are Quenneville’s comments on Kane’s situation. Click here for video of the injury.
Kane was injured just 23 seconds into Sunday’s 4-2 home win against Calgary, and is expected to be out “upwards of three weeks,” according to Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville, who met with reporters after Tuesday’s practice at the United Center.
“We’re hoping that’s the maximum,” said Quenneville, who declined to specify what part of Kane’s lower body was hurt. “We’re going to leave it as a ‘lower body,’ and you can speculate on where it is, but certainly that’s the extent of it and he’s progressing right now.”
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 40
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)